TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Hello, my name is Steve and I'm a TToholic...(too long, sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2000, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, my name is Steve and I'm a TToholic...(too long, sorry)

It all started a little over a year ago when I decided to buy myself a new car. It started out innocently enough. I was thinking about getting a new beetle because I liked the shape and style. It reminded me of the bubble cars of the future we were promised in the 60s. (They also said we would be eating nutrient pills for dinner, (you younger folk won't know about this)). Anyway, I got a brochure and test drove one and even put my name on a list with a car broker. I started looking on the web for information about them and checked out the newbug forum. It started out simple, you know, no big deal, buy a car, drive it to work, pick up groceries, that kind of stuff. My wife thought this was reasonable enough. A healthy midlife crisis sort of thing.

Then in October of `99 I went to Chicago on a business trip and got a ride in a brand new Audi S4. I thought, this is a really nice car, the outside's not too exciting but the inside and power are pretty cool. So, when I got back home I went to the Audi USA website to look up more information about the S4, price, options, things like that. That's when I saw it. The TT. Oh Lord, that's when it happened, I was hooked.

I promised myself I wouldn't spend more than $25K or so on a car. Well, that went right out the window.

Since I was sitting in front of my computer I started out searching on the web. I found this forum, THE FORUM. Over time I must have bookmarked over 50 sites devoted to or even marginally related to the TT. I went to my local dealer for a fix, NO, a brochure and to put my name on THE LIST. I put my $1K deposit down for the car and picked up a brochure. I still hadn't seen a live (or dead) TT. I called a different dealer that said he actually had one I could look at and maybe I could even sit in it. My wife and I went down to the dealer's on a Saturday to look at it. It wasn't the color I wanted inside or out and it still had the protective plastic sheeting on it, but boy was it beautiful. It was all I could do not to drool all over it. I was able to drive it about 20 feet forward and back. On the outside I started to pull the plastic sheeting off of the rear finder to look at the gas cap at the same time asking the dealer if I could pull the plastic sheeting off to look at the gas cap. He said, "Sure". Well, I got another brochure from him, it was the same one I had gotten from the first dealer but I didn't see any thing wrong with this at the time. Now I had two, one for home and one for work. It made sense to me.

The waiting had begun.

About this time my wife was starting to worry. I was spending more and more time on the web. Looking for more and more TT related stuff, lurking on this forum and reading her posts that she couldn't quite understand. She said I was becoming obsessed but I didn't see it. I should say I didn't want to see it.

As the time passed, (three months at the first dealership with no end in sight and no help at all in how long it might be. (They were only getting one car a month and wouldn't tell me how many people were in front of me) Six months at the dealership I finally ended up getting the car through), I found myself noticing more and more Audis of all years, makes and models. I was looking for any TT I could see, driving by or parked. I would stare out the windows of restaurants while my wife was talking to me just hoping to see one drive by. I would interrupt her to say, "look honey, there goes one". I started looking for accessories for MY car. (It hadn't even been built yet)! I even bought a watch to match the car I didn't even own. I was vaguely aware of the looks my wife had started to give me. Our cats and dog were beginning to feel neglected. I was getting deeper.

As the fateful day drew nearer I began buying more things for my car. $112 worth of that Z stuff. I ordered a car cover. I read everything I could about things to look for while picking up the car and how to take care of it. If fact I read them over and over again. I sent the dealer an e-mail with a list of things to do (not do) to the car. Don't install front plate, windows up/down with remote etc. I had it bad. Not as bad as some but bad enough.

The magic day arrived and I was in a fog. I've been in a daze ever since. I've owned it for almost five weeks now and I've washed it four times. Wash five and Z coats #4 & #5 will go on it this weekend. I find myself walking by the front windows at work just so I can look out at my car in the parking lot. When I go into a store, any store, I'll take one of the little pop off covers from the center console to see if there is ANYTHING I can buy for the car that will go with the interior color (blue). Pens, pencils, notebooks, water glasses, coffee mugs, beanie babies, whatever. I have my wife fooled though. She thanks I getting better now. I'm hiding it better. If I could just get rid of that damned sillyass grin I get every time I drive the TT.

Well, that's my story. I know I can overcome this addiction. I'm trying anyway. Thanks for listening and being there for support.... WAIT a minute! You people are as bad as I am! You people have been saying, "here, look what I found to buy", or "here, look at the cool website I've found". You people are warped, really really warped. That must be why I like this forum so much. Thanks!

Note: I have nothing but respect for anyone trying to deal with a real addiction whether it is through AA or any other program. Hell, I gave up smoking on the day I picked up my car. It's the hardest thing I've ever done. Giving up cocaine years ago was nothing compared to nicotine. Every time I feel like a smoke I go look at my car. It sounds silly but it's worked so far. It has, however, made my wife very happy. Now she just smiles and shakes her head when I talk about my car. (I know she like it more than she lets on but only one of us is allowed to go bonkers at any one time). Again, sorry for the length.
Old 10-13-2000, 03:47 PM

CongraTTs on quiTTing the nicoTTine habiTT!!
Old 10-13-2000, 03:51 PM

Sorry, but "that damned sillyass grin" is permanent. Learn to accept it ;-)
Old 10-13-2000, 03:52 PM

Default Obsession and Addiction... Two different things, really they are, at least that's what I tell myself

Congrats on quiting.
Hmm I think I'll share that idea with someone, he's looking to get a new Vette.

Once I get my TT I might change his mind...
Old 10-13-2000, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ellio...we a perfectly normal TT addicts here...its the others that have a problem...welcome ;-)
Old 10-13-2000, 03:54 PM

Yup. I haven't, but my TT is still a smoke free zone after 1 yr.
Old 10-13-2000, 03:56 PM

You do have a long "list of reasons why I need to go to the garage", right?
Old 10-13-2000, 03:57 PM

Default Yah... this is like a group therapy or something....

More like group reinforcement.
Old 10-13-2000, 04:15 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto.
Old 10-13-2000, 05:22 PM

Welcome to the club. Hell this infliction of love hit my wife worse than me, now we have two TTs.

Quick Reply: Hello, my name is Steve and I'm a TToholic...(too long, sorry)