TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

How does Euro delivery work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 11:37 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does Euro delivery work?

Say M-B makes a model you like (pretend they still made a version of the SL w/a manual tranny), which is not available in the US, but is in Europe. Could you order it from their fly-drive-ship program, or do you have to pick from their slate of vehicles currently available in US dealerships? What are the issues other than emissions?
Old 09-30-2002, 11:42 AM

Default May not be the same thing - but I investigated importing a Lancia that I owned in Austria

Now those cars aren't in the US at all - so I don't know if its applicable.

In the end it was going to be prohibitively expensive. It seemed issues included emissions, side impact, braking, etc. The worst was the side impact requirements which would have involved substantial modification to the vehicle.

Then there was the import tax - which was going to cost over 5k alone. I decided to sell the car in Vienna - and brought the money here with me. That was easier.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:43 AM

Default You would also need to check to make sure the desired model meets all applicable DOT safety

regulations (e.g., airbags, lens color on lights, etc.).

You're not thinking aboug getting rid of your TT, are you Rahul?
Old 09-30-2002, 11:46 AM

Default emissions could be a big pain

things have changed in recent years and made this more painful...
if they don't do EPA tests on the engine/tranny combo that you want to bring back (and it's likely that they don't if they know it's not coming to the US), then you could be up the creek or in line for lots of hassle and $$.

the "real answer" may depend on the specific car that you're talking about.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:50 AM
Elder Member

Default Of course not! I just like to compile information and know my options. The only way I would get rid

of the TT is if I decided I needed to get a TTR, instead (think dolomite grey, w/ black baseball leather)... ;-)

Honestly, though, the more I see that you new SL - ooooh boy! That's some goodwood! Its got REALLY pleasing lines... But I wouldn't want a big pig V8 w/ a slush box - they used to offer the last generation SLs in Europe w/ a 6-cyl and a 6 spd manual - I could go for that. It's kinda a grandpa car and stuff, but I think it's hot!

The other things I was worried about was parts and service... :-(
Old 09-30-2002, 11:54 AM
Elder Member

Default Well you know how you can get the SLK 320 w/ a 6spd manual in the US? What if they sell

the same engine/tranny combo in a different bodystyle (say the SL or CLK) in Europe, but which is not available to us here?
Old 09-30-2002, 12:05 PM

sorry to hijack the thread but I sent you an email to your hotmail.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:08 PM

Default maybe, or maybe not

after all, emissions can be affected by the aerodynamics (although I don't know if the testing takes that into account - if they just run it on rollers without a wind generator, then maybe not). I don't know how picky the EPA is, but I can guess... :-(
Old 09-30-2002, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If the car is newer than 25 yrs old, you're in for a big hassle

Unless you're a rich bastage bringing in a supercar, it probably won't be something you want to pursue.<ul><li><a href="http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/imp-exp2/informal/car.htm">The US Treasury Dept. wants to tell you more</a></li></ul>
Old 09-30-2002, 12:15 PM

Default There are a sh*tload of other variables like...

...<font color="003366"> transmission and axle ratios, certification curb weight, US EPA test weight category, coastdown (a function of rolling, braking and powertrain resistance factored by the car's CdA -- drag coefficient times frontal area). If all that stuff is the same, <u>and</u> if you can document it, the Environmental Protection Agency would probably give the car a clean bill of health as long as the the manufacturer hasn't filed a letter of prohibition with boys at EPA.

After all this you'll have to get past the NHTSA guys for all the safety requirements.</font>

Quick Reply: How does Euro delivery work?