TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

How to you open the trunk when the battery is dead?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to you open the trunk when the battery is dead?

I have a 2008 tt quattro convertible(first year having it) and can't open the trunk. The extreme cold Im sure is the cause in addition to being the original battery. I tried the button on the door and the emergency release in the center console, pulling it to where I thought it would snap with all the force I used. I have no clue how to get to the battery to jump it or even replace it, Suggestions appreciated. There is no kjey access on the exterior trunk. Meantime I put a space heater in the car facing the opening in the console hoping if I got it warm enough(the battery) it may start. The car clicks and the lights turn on but that's it.Thanks!!!
Old 02-02-2019, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberbob
I have a 2008 tt quattro convertible(first year having it) and can't open the trunk. The extreme cold Im sure is the cause in addition to being the original battery. I tried the button on the door and the emergency release in the center console, pulling it to where I thought it would snap with all the force I used. I have no clue how to get to the battery to jump it or even replace it, Suggestions appreciated. There is no kjey access on the exterior trunk. Meantime I put a space heater in the car facing the opening in the console hoping if I got it warm enough(the battery) it may start. The car clicks and the lights turn on but that's it.Thanks!!!
Folow the procedure in the owner's manual. This is a classic example for everyone out there to practice, under perfect conditions, such as on a sunny afternoon when you're washing and waxing the car; how to handle all emergency access issues such as dead battery & can't get in trunk. Or, in the case of a vehicle equipped with the sunroof, how to close the sunroof when the motor fails and it's starting to rain. Also, how to access the car doors when the power Locking System fails Etc. I know on the earlier mark-1 TT's, you access the trunk Latch by unscrewing the cup holder and removing it. Below that is a cable that you reach in and pull on or press down on to unlock the trunk. That's probably not the case with the mark II's and III's though.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. Im not sure what the latch I was tugging on was for then.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

The easy way is to put jumper cables or a battery charger on the posts under the hood. This video is for a coupe but that will be the same.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the info.I got it open. The cable is jammed and doesn't work. So I had to send a pvc pipe ,to the inside the trunk from the front , and push the interior emergency handle down. It took about 10 minutes but got it. I'm having the car run for 30 minutes in garage to ,hopefully, recharge the battery. The first time I jumped and ran it for 10 minutes it didn't start again and he to rejump. Only thing is a lot of trouble lights are lit and hopefully go away, I plan on driving it for a little (never turning it off) ,when I return home,turn it off, restart it, and hopefully it resets the lights.