TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I need a diagnosis from a TT doctor (and I don't mean a urologist!) --

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a diagnosis from a TT doctor (and I don't mean a urologist!) --

I think I may have finally suffered from the DV failure everyone has written about. Here are the symptoms: I pulled out onto the highway this morning (got home from TT-East last night; total miles: 2,500 since Wednesday). As I merged out onto the road, I noticed a distinct loss of power and a 'flutter' in the engine while I was in fourth gear at around 3300 RPM...but with no 'honking' noise. It seems to do this every time I put the car into more than the granny mode of driving. The car would not accelerate after it reached the flutter stage but didn't seem to be about to die on me. This is the first time it's ever done this.

I called the Audi dealership (Moffitt in Shreveport) and told them what was up. The service advisor told me that the soonest he could get me in to see the TT tech was Thursday morning. The guy on the phone (the service advisor, not the tech) didn't know what the f**k a diverter valve was when I asked him about it. Keeping the symptoms in mind, here are my two questions:

A.) Does this sound like a DV problem?
B.) If it IS a DV problem, will it hurt the car to drive it until Thursday and then, on Thursday, drive it 60 miles to the dealership?

TIA for all diagnoses from the group. I trust your judgment!

Ferg
Old 05-06-2002, 11:47 AM

Cannot hurt your car, but I noticed the sound before the loss of power
Old 05-06-2002, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ahh no that would be a PP Doctor. LOL :-D
Old 05-06-2002, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi Ferg...good seeing you at Asheville!...assuming you have no check engine light and...

since you describe being in 4th and at 3500 powering up to merge...I say DV or its associated DV controller valve...it is the device the opens and closes to make the vacuum line activate that goes to the DV to make it open (closing is by spring on the DV)...if you want I can FedEx a MTM DV to you overnight and you can switch out to verify if it is the DV..whatcha thunk???
Old 05-06-2002, 11:55 AM

LMAO @ ^^^^^^^
Old 05-06-2002, 11:57 AM

Default Well, keeping in mind that I'm a mechano-moron, how hard is it to switch them?

And the 'check engine' light did NOT come on, nor has it come on since this morning.
Old 05-06-2002, 12:01 PM

Default I had a similar feeling. Except mine was around the 4k mark. Also, noticed that ...

it doesn't do it EVERY time... some times it will accelerate fine all the way up.
I keep on thinking that it feels as if the car is "dumping" most of the boost all of the sudden (but not super jerky... passenger can't feel it as much - its not a loss of power its more like it stops making power but won't loose what it has)... does this sound familiar?

-Alex
Old 05-06-2002, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Hi Ferg...good seeing you at Asheville!...assuming you have no check engine light and...

Michael.... I'll wait to see what Ferg has to say... but I was looking into getting the Forge yet I'm interested in seeing if it truly is the DV. (See above for my posting - similar observations). If Ferg isn't interested I'll give it a try (if you don't mind)... if it works I'll look into going for a Forge/Bailey/MTM.

-Alex
Old 05-06-2002, 12:09 PM

Default That would be it EXACTLY...you described it to a "T" ...er, a TT, I guess. :-)

Especially this part:

"its not a loss of power its more like it stops making power but won't loose what it has"
Old 05-06-2002, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uninstalling and reinstalling a DV is not difficult save the removal of the OEM hose clamps..are a..

PIA to remove...but to give you the flavor of the process go to the link...go to 'The Cars' and then 'TT Stuff' and then to the DV Install...that will give you an idea of how it is done (BTW..removing the strut tower brace is not really necessary...doing so just makes the working area a little more accommodating...<ul><li><a href="http://www.battcall.com">DV Install</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: I need a diagnosis from a TT doctor (and I don't mean a urologist!) --