TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I need help to diagnose a strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need help to diagnose a strange noise

I am getting a hum/whine coming from somewhere in the front end. It is independent of engine speed, and the pitche and volume increase with speed. (It gets damn loud at highway speed.) It happens in gear as well as coasting in neutral. It's not tire noise, because it does not change with different road surfaces.

I just had a new clutch put in, and it seems to be occurring since that happened. Also, when I picked up the car from the shop, the alignment was horribly off--the steering wheel was about 30 degrees to the right when going straight. I immediately turned around and went back to the shop. They took the car back, and about a half hour later called me and said it was ready. The shop owner said one wheel was out of alignment and so they straightened it out. He also said he didn't know how that could have happened since "we didn't touch the tie rods."

Any ideas what could be causing this? Wheel bearing maybe? And could the shop have done something during the clutch install to cause this?

Thanks in advance...
Old 06-18-2006, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Without hearing it & based on your description... I'd say wheel bearing as well

Does the pitch change if you turn the wheel to the left or right?
Old 06-18-2006, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if the noise started after picking up the car..they did something and they should.

troubleshoot until it is solved.

30 min is awfully fast to resolve an issue. Maybe they screwed up something and they know about it and simply hope they can get rid of you quickly.

Sorry to come off as being paranoid but I've had this happen to me from Audi dealerships who represent the upper echelon of service so I expect no more from other shops.

I hope you find a quick resolution to this issue.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It does seem to get louder when I turn right, but does not go away when I turn left.

Also I don't feel anything strange...
Old 06-18-2006, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Another possibility is the shroud around the brakes & caliper...

Jack it up & spin the front right tire .Then the front left. Sometimes they(the shroud) get bent in & touch the wheel or tire.I don't believe there's any in the back but you could look.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Funny, I have a strange sound after letting the car drop real fast off of the jack....

As our cars are real stiff. As you jack up the front, the rear goes up too. I was taking my off of the jack stands and the left side was still on the stand. I had removed the right side jack stand and then just gave a big twist to the handle on the jack and the right side dropped real quick and the back left wheel comes up in the air real fast. I go for a drive and I am getting all kind of strange noises from the rear suspension. I take the car to a big open parking lot and do some donuts and then slalom around light poles at a pretty good speed. Most all the creaky noises were then gone. Some how I think I got the rear sway bar into some strange twist or bind and then the multiple load/unload of the suspension by the slalom helped alot.

Is it possible that you also may have some sort of bind like that.

From now on, I will ease the car back down to the ground.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Mine isn't a creak, it's a humming noise, so I don't think it is suspension-related.