TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I need your advice!! please share your thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need your advice!! please share your thoughts...

I recently bought a 2001 non-quattro 180hp FWD TT Roadster with 37k miles for $16000, and now it has about 39k+ miles.

I didn't particularly want the convertible, but it was the cheapest one(with such a low mileage!) in town for at least couple of months straight. So I bought it and I loved it, even the fact that it was a convertible. (i think TT is one of the best roadster out there)

Now, I've come across a 2001 quattro 225hp TT Coupe with 49k miles with "100k mile or upto Nov/07 Audi warranty" followed by 2-year extended warranty for $16000. And now I am considering selling my TT Roadster to get this coupe. The fact that it was non-quattro and that it didn't come with warranty has been bothering me somewhat.

Pros on coupe:
- Bose Stereo system
- Quattro (what i initially wanted)
- more HP (180 -> 225)
- 1 year worth of Audi warranty + 2 year extended warranty (a big plus IMO)
- 5 speed to 6 speed manual
- 6 CD changer

Cons:
- 10k more mileage
- it's not convertible(not really a con, but somewhat)
- need to go through all the hassle of selling my car and buying another one.

Let's say I can sell my car for $16000. Give that I have $16000 to buy the coupe, do you think it's worth the invesment, or should I just forget about it?

I am willing to go through all the hassles if I can get the better one for the same price. That is no problem for me. But I wanted to ask this question here and see what your thoughts are (since you guys are such a great adviser when it comes to TT).

ps: buying new TT is not an option here as I am only shooting for a used car. I plan to buy a new car in 2 years, but not now. A good used TT will do.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks. i now have a headache
Old 04-10-2006, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

coupe + quattro + 225 + warranty = 100% do it!
Old 04-10-2006, 10:17 PM

Default Re: I need your advice!! please share your thoughts...

Oh yes, the passion of a automobile. I don't know where you live but can you use your convertible all the time? I need the back seats and it rain all time the Northwest. So all wheel drive is nice to have.

Pro- You can upgrade your stereo to better one then Bose. I have Bose system it's nice but i've heard better sound system. Maybe you'll spend $400 to 500 on a new one. I'm pretty sure you can't upgrade the Bose, maybe that's a plus.

Quattro is nice but it also adds weight to your car. Since your car is a convertible it's already heavier then a coupe.

Power- You could add a chip and get more HP, maybe even more then 225HP. Since don't have a warranty, you don't have to worry about doing mod's to you car. $300 to $600 for a Chip.

Warranty are nice to have but it's driving me crazy not being able to do some serious mod's.

Look at your con list-!! Do you need back seats? Selling you car, paying more taxes (if you have to in your state.) High mileage cars, maybe not as nice of condition. You time and effort to get a nice one. The money you could lose could go for the list stuff below.

My plan for you.

1. Buy a better Stereo ( You got to have good tunes)
2. Put a chip in your car for better performance.
3. Buy some 18" or 19" wheels for you TT. I've seen some sweet convertible.
4. Brakes & Suspension if your serious about making a nice TT.
5. Be happy you own a TT and make the best of it.
6. For $1000 or little more could meet two of your demands.
7. Hope this has help you decide. Sometime no decision is the best one.

Mr. 3.2 TT. Still wanting more HP and a better car. I'm always looking to upgrade but it's had to find another car to replace my TT. One day at time Grasshopper.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:10 AM

Default Here's another way to look at it...

The ride inside of the coupe is, in my opinion at least, a lot cooler than the ride inside the roadster. It's got this whole...batmobile feeling to it because the side windows are squished with the swooping roofline. I always enjoy that aspect of my TT.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM /\

Get what you really want and do not stray from your plan - you will be much happier buying the TT you want, as opposed to making it into what you want - IMHO

Besides, the coupe will always handle better!
Old 04-11-2006, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have Advil...:-)
Old 04-11-2006, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default coupe is very nice. but so is the convertible. :)

don't know why... but i love those aluminum head bar on the roadster. I think they go very well with TT's design concept.

thanks for your input.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default i don't really plan to do major mods on my TT *wink wink*

or so I have brainwashed myself.

Now that I think about it, I think it's more important that I be able to drive safely around winter time than going top down during somewhat short summer...

I knew quattro would add many pounds, but did not know that the convertible weighed more than the coupe. is it really true? I would guess the other way around.

Gas mileage is important these days with premium skyrocketing. But I think safety should come first before money.

i like your advice number 5 and 7. thanks.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default yes, I totally agree with you! But.....

this time I really don't know what I want. that's why I asked for your thoughts.

I guess I want the quattro, but I don't know why I'm hesitating. Maybe because I feel that I should and could have resolved this dilemma had I been more careful with the initial purchase. I had researched for a good amount of time before I bought my TT, but maybe I should have taken more time to purchase it. (i couldn't resist when i test drove TT lol)

After all, buying a car is nothing like buying a little toy and exchanging it if you don't like it. I guess I feel just a little guilty at the fact that I've come to a point where I want to swap the car again so soon.

anyway, that was my morning babble. thanks.

Quick Reply: I need your advice!! please share your thoughts...