TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Moved: FL - CO... Cold Weather Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moved: FL - CO... Cold Weather Question

I just moved from Florida to Colorado with my 2000 TT Coupe. From everything I've read, and from what the local dealer (Prestige Imports) says, no adjustment is required for the colder weather. But...

When I start the car on cold mornings (below 20F), the check Coolant light comes on. I turn the car off and repeat... After the third start the light stays off.

I've also noticed a small rattle sound when I have the clutch out while the car is warming. If I depress the clutch, or wait a few minutes to warm, the noise goes away.

The dealer said I can bring it in, but then it's warm... It would require leaving the car overnight hoping for a cold morning.

Anyone have similar problems? Should I be concerned, or am I just a Florida weenie?

WhiTTle
Old 01-09-2002, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd be interested to know...

does the light go off if you let the car keep running?

Have you checked the level of the coolant?

Have you made sure that the coolant is antifreeze rather than water? (sometimes people in florida put water in the radiator because USUALLY it doesn't freeze there).

Are you parking with your front grill facing into the wind? This will super-cool your radiator, and might cause the problem. I've had a car not start at all because I did this.

Does the owner's manual mention anything about this?

Best Wishes!

Louie
Old 01-09-2002, 11:55 AM

Default Something I follow when starting the car that "in my mind" helps especially for cold starts...

Put the key in and turn it as far as you can (like accessory setting) without depressing the clutch. Put on your seatbelt and by the time your done all the lights should have lite and then come off and OK should be displayed on the dash. Then depress the clutch and crank over the car.

I'm not sure what happens (maybe the fuel pump has time to prime something with power) but I have VERY smooth starts in all climates because of this. I tried this thanks to a post on the forum a fews years ago When I was experiencing noisy cold starts. This help imo.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No, there's something else going on...

I always just put in the key and start and never have a problem... and I live in Colorado.

I definitely have never seen the low coolant sensor problem - sounds like a bad coolant sensor.

As far as the clutch "rattle" goes, that sounds strange as well.

What you <b>will</b> hear that you're probably not used to is that when the engine is cold you will hear an extra whine until the engine warms up a bit; I used to remember what that was (something like air being injected into the precats) but am not 100% sure...
Old 01-09-2002, 12:25 PM

Default Oh, sorry :) Didn't say this was a fix for his problems...

just what I follow with a good working car to easethe stress on the car...might not do anything but I'm in the habit now