TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

New to audi need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to audi need some advice

Hi I have been convinced that I need to buy an audi and I believe the TT is perfect for me. I plan on modifying the car alot (turbo, meth injection, full exhaust, cold air, suspension, intercooler, ecu, brakes etc) im hoping to get the car for as little as possible to give me more money to modify it. Is there any main differences between the 2000, 2001 and 2001 225 models besides the 225 has a bigger turbo (which I would be replacing anyway)? Also is 100,000-150,000 to many miles to do this kind of work to and at that mileage what maintenance (besides timing belt and oil changes) would I need to do to the car to make sure it will be reliable. My budget for this would be about 15-17,000 with me doing all the work, does this sound reasonable or am I delusional? Also this will be a daily driver so im not looking to build a race car, just something fast and fun with good mileage. What would you guys consider a good price for one of these with quattro and manual and coupe? I found a 2000 with 116,000 miles for 5000 and a 2001 (180hp) with 110,000 miles for 7000 are these good deals or should I be looking for something else? Sorry about all the questions any help is appreciated I dont know much at all about audi and wont pretend I do. Thanks
Old 05-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Good luck!

Good luck and welcome to the club (eventually)!

First off, IMO don't buy a 225. Get a 180 FWD. The missing quattro gives you much more room for big turbo upgrades, ect. Call APR and ask them, they'll tell you. And the difference in OEM horsepower doesn't matter because you're going to chip/upgrade it anyway. Also the quattro is more future maintenance on the awd system.

Several years ago I was about to sell my FWD and buy a quattro and the guys at APR convinced me not to for many reasons. I like to think they know what they're talking about

goapr.com

Happy hunting!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh, and as far as the differences between the model years, it doesn't really matter. There were initially some differences, like my 2000 had the original control arms which are great. Later Audi initiated a recall and modified the design which tuners didn't like, so there are DEFCON replacements to get the original design back. But anyway, chances are any car you look at will have had the recall performed anyway.

Bottom line is at this point (a decade later) I can't find any reason to go with one model year over another.

Just find a good deal with decent miles/history and go from there. It's more important to find a car that's been taking care of.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just wondering are the internals of the 225 different than the 180? I thought I heard somewhere it had stronger internals which would be better suited for the mods but I could be wrong in which case I wouldnt need the 225. Also I will be using this car to make 100 mile trips (each way) across upstate new york when winter comes back around so I think the quattro would be beneficiary but will it really not work with the apr kits? I looked on their website and it only shows kits for fwd is there reasoning behind this or did they just not list both? Thanks
Old 05-20-2013, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2_stroke_smoke
Just wondering are the internals of the 225 different than the 180? I thought I heard somewhere it had stronger internals which would be better suited for the mods but I could be wrong in which case I wouldnt need the 225. Also I will be using this car to make 100 mile trips (each way) across upstate new york when winter comes back around so I think the quattro would be beneficiary but will it really not work with the apr kits? I looked on their website and it only shows kits for fwd is there reasoning behind this or did they just not list both? Thanks
If you live in NY get the quattro. FWD Audis have much lower resale value in northern climates.

APR has chips for 225 and 180 Quattros as does Revo. It's just a chip upgrade and has nothing to do with whether it's Quattro or not.

There are no major maintenance issues with the AWD, just a drain and fill the Haldex every 20,000 miles.The clutch replacement is more involved than the FWD.

If you are planning on changing a lot of stuff out, the 180 has more potential because of the higher compression. However if it's just a chip go with the 225.

Before you do any of this stuff make sure the maintenance is done. No proof of belt replacement, thats a $800-1500 job. DIY about $400. If the belt fails maybe new valves but sometimes a new motor is required.

The prices sound fine, but it's possible some work is needed on both of them.

Make sure the cluster works, no CELs or air bag lights etc.