TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

New TT owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issue - item #3

Originally Posted by Zap!
Hey everyone, new member here. I just registered a 2000 Audi TT Quattro on Wednesday, that I bought for just $500 from a friend who was the original owner. He's put a lot of money into it over the years, including a new engine about 20,000 miles ago. It's certainly a steal, but it does have a few issues. Perhaps some are related, perhaps not. Here are some of the problems.

1) The "ABS "light is on, and the "brake" light flashes. I does not need brake fluid, and the brake pads are fine. It seems to stop fine. The ABS fuse is fine.
2) The "check engine is on. I own an OBD2 scanner, and got just one code: P1136.
3) It takes about 4 or 5 attempts to start. I try, it cranks, I stop and repeat the process. After it's running, it's fine. If I stop in a store or friend's house, it will start right up next time. But if I wait several hours between starts, it'll take the 4 or 5 tries again. This has nothing to do with the weather. Same thing happens whether it's 60 or 30 outside. The fuel pump was replaced by the previous owner, but it did not fix the problem. He doesn't know if they replaced the fuel filter, but I'd imagine they had to. Could it be fuel injectors? MAF Sensor?
4) The glove box light only works when the headlights are on. Is this normal? Either way, it's a minor problem compared to the rest.
I work for a company that makes fuel regulator valves. We work very hard to make them leak-free. If they leak, the system loses pressure and makes the car difficult to start. It sounds like your fuel PRV is leaking slowly. The longer it is off - to a point - the longer it takes to start. If you see that direct correlation, you could look at getting a new pressure regulating valve.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Zap!
I want to personally thank you for this advise. I bougt the temp sensor at Autozone for like $11.99. I just installed it and it started right up after sitting in the cold all night and morning. Such a cheap and easy fix!

I also changed the MAF sensor yesterday and cleared the code. So far it appears to be riding better. The code hasn't come back just yet, but I have only driven it like 6 miles since the install. Next step is a Bluetooth radio and then the ABS problems!
Glad I was able to help. Enjoy your TT.