TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Newbie: General Modification Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie: General Modification Questions

I am a newbie and not a TT owner. I have a friend who is a TT owner. I "speak car" better and would like to help him on the road to performance upgrade.

Since I'm on other boards, I know newbie questions can be tough when there are good places to go and learn the basics. I'll be glad to go and learn the basics, if you can point me in the right direction.

My buddy has the 180hp version of the TT Coupe.

Questions:
- I am eager to hear where the weak points are in the TT, where the car needs the most work to tweak additional power (i.e. induction, ECU, headers, mid/b pipe, cat, pre-cats, etc.).
- How about same question with suspension/traction. Calipers, pads, rotors, brake lines, clutch, flywheel, pulley, engine mounts, etc.
- Springs/struts? How are the stock struts...do you guys always replace them when you lower your TT's?
- A list of modifications commonly made to TT's separated by "intake/engine/exhaust" and "suspension" would be greatly appreciated.
- Where do you guys buy your aftermarket stuff online? What sites are good for Audi's and what manufacturers are the big Audi go-to's.

I'll stop now...I'm trying to get up-to-speed on speaking "TT" on this board so I can help my buddy out and I need the basics before I can do anything for him.

The only thing I've helped him with so far is getting rid of those crappy Potenza tires it came with...crap.

Michael
Old 02-25-2002, 03:17 PM
gtt
AudiWorld Super User

Default poor guy...I guess he'll need the 300+hp kit, or the drop-in 500hp model.....

You could "shop" at HPA motorsports, MTM, ABT, APR, PES, for starters and remember that 180 probably handles better than your Nissan stock.
Old 02-25-2002, 03:26 PM

Why waste time answering questions like this? So that he can boast about his Maxima?
Old 02-25-2002, 03:29 PM

Default Re: poor guy...I guess he'll need the 300+hp kit, or the drop-in 500hp model.....

I figured I'd get a dig about the Nissan. :-) Neither are stock. I've driven the TT and it does handle well, doesn't it?

Thanks for the good word.
Old 02-25-2002, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Why waste time answering questions like this? So that he can boast about his Maxima?

Are you serious? I'm really not going to boast about the Maxima or the 300Ztt. I'm not interested, in the least, in getting into a boasting or who's car is better discussion.

I am really here to learn about TT modification to help a friend out. If editing my original post will help you calm down, I can do that...but I really just was hoping that AudiWorld was a good place to learn about the TT. If I am wrong...I'll go away.

I thought that was a pretty tame post to get flamed so quickly. I edited the thread...hope that makes everyone feel better.
Old 02-25-2002, 03:35 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No offense. I owned a Maxima SE before the TT ... great

car, but no comparison as far as fun driving. You've asked a lot of questions. Some time using the search feature here or reading through a few pages of posts might help you. Also, people's signature pictures list many of their mods. For brakes, StopTech, for suspension many are using Bilstiens (HD, Sport or Coilovers) with either the stock spring or Eibach. If you click on the Stratmosphere banner up in the right corner, you'll see some great mods....Milltek cat back exhaust, high flow cat, Abt chip and springs, FMIC, etc.
Old 02-25-2002, 03:40 PM

Default Re: No offense. I owned a Maxima SE before the TT ... great

I tend to think you can do a lot to make the Maxima fun to drive (certainly doesn't do much for me stock), but that is really not the purpose of my post so I have deleted that section of the original post. Thanks for your comments. I am trying to do some searching, but I was hoping somebody might point me to a good FAQ or a general information page.
Old 02-25-2002, 03:45 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default www.auditt.org has FAQ, but not necessarily the info you

are looking for...there is not a information page per se. I did give you a list of a few things and suggestions in my note...did you look at Strat?
Old 02-25-2002, 03:49 PM

Now that sounds a lot better!
Old 02-25-2002, 03:56 PM

Default We aim to please - engine chip/exhaust- www.goapr.com;

they have stages

suspension - eibach springs and bilstein HDs, Neuspeed 19mm rear anti-sway bar (shox.com and neuspeed)

Get rid of Blowtenzas - get S-03s and 18 inch Kahn RSR or RSS - edgeracing.com

FMIC - APR or Stratmosphere.com

Brakes - Porterfield pads, Stoptechs

These are some of the items I have done or will do in future and have worked for others on the forum. Others have other preferences - a matter of personal taste.

We don't want to blow you off

Quick Reply: Newbie: General Modification Questions