TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Newbie here

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here

Greetings!

A little about me and my car history:
I've owned Volkswagens since the 1970s as my daily drivers.
My wife's car bought new - 2000 New Beetle GLS 2.0 5-speed and has 163,000 miles.
My daily commuter bought new - 2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed and has 165,000 miles.

After 30 years of owning and repairing classic muscle and sports cars from the mid sixties to
early seventies, for my "Summer car" I've ended my classic car patronage and have bought my
first Audi.

When this car fist came out, I thought it was the coolest thing I saw in years for a production
sports car. After selling my last classic, my wife suggested I get a car that's sporty and fun to
drive. Something I could drive to work for the spring and summer and park in the fall and winter.
Also, a car she and I could take on a long weekend and not worry about breaking down while
getting great gas mileage.

So I bought a 2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster.
I have new tires arriving in a week and looking forward to getting her out.

I did something that I normally haven't done, buying a car before researching -
"What am I getting myself into". Hopefully though, with the support of the fine folks here at
Audi World, I won't be as scared about owning the TT as I have read on the forum about the car
thus far.

I bought it a week ago, spent the last two weekends cleaning and detailing her.
It has a few dings and scratches on the body and discovered some engine trim pieces missing,
but overall, appears to be in very good condition otherwise.

I discovered today my left front amber parking light was out and a single drip of oil on my garage
floor. I checked the fuse and its fine so I need to figure out how to replace what I hope is a bad
light bulb. So any guidence on changing the bulb from anyone would be helpful.

I then drove the car on ramps, removed the lower service cover beneath the engine, cleaned the
cover and wiped down the motor from previous grime build up and to search for leaks. There
appears to be oil seeping around the oil drain plug. With it cleaned up, hopefully now I can see if
possibly the washer for the drain plug was bad, causing the one lone drip on my garage floor.

Thank you in advance and I hope to be a regular on the Audi World Forum.

Regards,

Rudy
Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parking lights burn out at this age. Just replace the bulb.. they're easy to get to and just twist out of the back of the headlight. Check the bulb first though.. it might just have a bad contact. I've had both issues.