TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

OK... looks like my aftermarket stereo plans have become a high priority...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK... looks like my aftermarket stereo plans have become a high priority...

pretty sure I blew a speaker today... and since I was thinking about this upgrade I might as well do it now. Here is what I am going to install, and have a few questions

I am going to replace all the speakers in the car...
fronts: Kenwood eXcelon KFC-Xr51p (5 1/4 component)
rears: Polk EX365 Coax (6 1/2 2way)
amp: MTX Thunder 6304 (37.5W x 4)

My question is this... how hard do you think it would be to install all the equipment myself? I was quoted around $300 to install all this stuff, including cabling, but who knows what kind of cabling they are going to use. What company makes good cabling kits? Also is this a job that could be done over a day or two for myself?

I want to mount the amp in the trunk, and wire all the speakers to that. I am running RCA back to the headunit. Thoughts?
Old 11-27-2002, 03:02 PM

could be done, assuming you know enough about wiring.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I mean I can wire things up...

I wired my basslink (actually Marcus's old basslink), no problem with grounds, and power etc. I guess I am more worried about channeling the cabling. I want the stock look, I also do not want to see any cabling, etc. I want to make sure I can remove all the panels I need to, and there will be enough room for me to work in. Wiring was not the problem, it was the "finished job" look that I wanted to make sure I could pull off. I am sure I will have to make a few trips over to a stereo shop- picking some adaptors for 5 1/4 speakers to go into the area for 6 1/2 holes.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:23 PM

Default you should be okay, but you'll have to work stuff into the door sills...

it's a pain, but not a huge one.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

cool, maybe I will start on this tomorrow... need to order some wiring kits
Old 11-27-2002, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default tom -- good choices of equipment, but...

you might audition mb quart speakers, alpine head units (they make a great navigation unit that you can plug a dvd player into), jl audio amps and subs. it all sounds pretty good in my car!

in any case, many of the good speaker wire and cable folks make car stuff as well. i don't think that $300 is terrible if they do a good installation -- ask for references and take a look at them. also ask what cables and wires they normally use.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tom, component speakers in the front?

The placement of the tweeters is poor enough in the Coupe as is - now you are going to lower the reflection point even further?

Think about the above and the fact that any change of the front speakers <i>may</i> involve cutting the door panels a bit.

I would want it done "right" and I don't mean that you can't do it, I mean that any issues that can happen might, in fact, happen. When going with a professional installer you can then get him/her to fix it.

Perhaps I am cautious without need, but having watched a pro do my car, I can tell you it was tricky and I don't want you to be unhappy.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i agree with glenn, tom, you should probably have a good professional...

installer do the new audio system.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Tom, bring your midbass up front. Skip the 5.25"s and get a 6.5" component set.

Send me an email with your # if you want to talk it out.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i agree with john, too (i'm in an agreeable mood tonight, i guess)...

i've got 6.5" components up front -- there's enough room and it will improve the sound significantly over 5.25".

Quick Reply: OK... looks like my aftermarket stereo plans have become a high priority...