TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Palm i705: Any users out there (to keep in contact with Forum, of course)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Palm i705: Any users out there (to keep in contact with Forum, of course)?

Making this post "on" topic.

Seriously thinking of getting one, Amazon reader reviews seem slightly tilted. While publication reviews have been quite favorable.

Thanks,
Old 04-08-2002, 09:02 AM

Default No Palm here, but the Compaq iPAQ is awesome. Check it out.

I have two myself, but checkl my email...im a bit biased!

Chris
Old 04-08-2002, 09:14 AM

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2002, 09:24 AM
Elder Member

Default I have a Palm VIIx. What do you want to know? What are you going to use it for?

The Viix does everything the 705 does except flash you when new email arrives and you have to purchase Multimail for the VIIx where it is builtin to the 705.

Contact me offline if need be. I know a lot about these bad boyz.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've had two Palm and a Handspring Visor, I recently switched to iPAQ 3765....

It's pretty sweet! I would never switch back to the Palm. I have a 802.11b card in my iPAQ, and I can roam around my office and home. The Pocket IE browser is pretty full featured. It's a nice piece of hardware.

I'm not a huge Microsoft fan, but I love my iPAQ.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:46 AM

Default Mostly for email while on the road.

My trips out of town are usually no more than three days long, so I don't need to look at a lot of attachments until I get home. I'd like to eliminate hauling my laptop with me.

I don't carry a phone (I survive via 800 vmail) and don't want to. Don't you need one with the VIIx?

The b/w screen seems appealing for download time and battery savings, I don't care about color for these reasons. Perhaps the next generation would make great improvements, but for now, I'm considering this or the Blackberry.

Too bad you can't test drive these things.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-08-2002, 09:52 AM

Thanks, I knew this forum would have some answers!
Old 04-08-2002, 09:59 AM

Default Having used just about all of them, for wireless e-mail...

RIM is the best with Palm 705i close second and iPaq distant third...while I prefer the iPaq, inconsistent coverage (if you travel as much as I do!) make it virtually unusable as a wireless tool (this should change when GPRS gets more real) The Palm uses the same network as RIM, and is a bit friendlier with other apps. Also the Palm and RIM should work in Canada.

If you are just getting internet mail, any of these would work. If you want to connect to a corporate system, you'll have to get the IT folks to install some software.

Bottom line (today)

Hard core wireless eMail - RIM
Combination wireless eMail and App/Internet - Palm
Don't need wireless but want a great PDA - PocketPC
Old 04-08-2002, 10:16 AM

That is excellenTT, thank you!
Old 04-08-2002, 10:24 AM
Elder Member

Default Someone asked me offline about the VIII / i705 and here's my response

The Palm VIIx is obsolete I think. You may find some in the channel at big box retailers. The i705 is the latest greatest. It has the expansion slot for MultiMediaCard memory for carrying more pictures and databases or something. I don't see the usefulness of this feature for me. It is still a greyscale device so why do I want pics of my kids and cats on it?

The improvements are the integrated antenna and flashy light to notify you of email. The Viix had no such notification. In addition it is rechargeable with a built-in Li-Ion battery where the VIIx uses alkalines.

Honestly, I have always found my to be most useful when I am traveling as I can check my POP mail, and get all kinds of great travel info like airline schedules and exact gate arrivals in near realtime. Weather, stocks, too.

I cannot find a VIIx available at Best Buy or direct from Palm so it may be a moot point to discuss the two.

The latest generation of Windows CE machines are the first that I think are as good as the Palms. Honestly there is a lot of good product in this area from Sony, Handspring and Palm (Palm OS) and Compaq and HP (WinCE based). BUT only Palm offers a nationwide network of wireless in the i705. Other devices require additional hardware and subscriptions or even a cell phone, specialty cable and software. It's really the most elegant solution.

Honestly, the Blackberry devices are really the competition to the Palm i705. I know little about them and as an avid Palm user for 5 years I am probably going to stick with them.

Now if you want a cell phone and Palm device that does wireless, too, the Handspring Treo just came out and it's really sexy.

One last note, there is a subscription fee for the i705. They charge by the kilobyte, unless you spend $45.00 per month for unlimited.

Anything else I can tell you, let me know. I can tell you that reception on my VIIx is excellent in even far off places in the US (Vail, Smoky Mountains) and the i705 uses the same network.

Quick Reply: Palm i705: Any users out there (to keep in contact with Forum, of course)?