TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Possible BIG problem installing rear shocks...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible BIG problem installing rear shocks...

I was installing the rear Eibach/Bilsteins/KMAC's tonight after getting the front's done yesterday. Damn, the rear is harder for me than the front's. I had a time getting the lower control arm aligned in order to get the KMAC bolt back through the hole. Finally got that and now the big problem. When I was reattaching the 21mm bolt through the sway bar and shock I had a hard time getting that bolt aligned and stripped the bolt and possibly the hole in the hub. They both look damaged but the bolt does still start and go about 4-5 turns before locking up. The damage to the hub threads is at the start of the thread so if it is severely damaged, would the bolt even get started? I'm hoping it's just the bolt, but what are my options if the hub is stripped? Also, if it's just the bolt, does anyone have the size so that I can purchase one?
Old 02-02-2007, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I did that too (stripped the hub). I now have a longer bolt through a drilled

out hole, with a nut on the back side. Can't help you with specifics, but I am pretty sure it is now an English-threaded part, so more options should be open to you. Make sure to get a good bolt, though, not just a Home Depot special. It needs to get torqued to factory specs, and transfer the load to the shock and anti-sway bar.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Isn't there something you can buy to rethread a hole? Any idea of the stock bolt size?

Also where is a place to get an appropriate bolt?
Old 02-02-2007, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i believe its a m10 1.0 thead pitch tap but >>>>

you would want to take the bolt with you to measure you can get a tap and dieset at most auto part stores that would be a quicker yet more expesive way but a good tap and die set is good to keeparound
Old 02-02-2007, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ok stop before you do damage. Maybe go to the hardware store to find the same bolt but shorter.

Then take this bolt and bolt it in from the other side of the hub (the brake side). If you are lucky, the threads (4 to 5 of them) will stretch back into place. If not, you will need a 14mm tap to fix it, and again, fix it from the other side so that it will follow the undamaged threads before it fixes the damaged ones.

Once you get this all squared away and to not repeat damage, remove the swaybar link from the top of the rod. This will allow you to easily insert the lower 21mm bolt without the swaybar and it's stubborn bushing forcing the angle of the bolt. And next time, only use finger power to thread anything in. Once you feel you have a few threads in, then the wrench comes in. This is true for bolting in anything - like lugs
Old 02-02-2007, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default m14, but I haven't measured the pitch. And no I didn't strip mine, but my custom setup requires

me to make a new stud in place of that 14mm bolt (21mm head).
Old 02-02-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Thanks for the info... I'll give this a shot if I can find a 14mm tap.

Of course I'll also need a new bolt. After the damage was done I realized that I should have just disconnected the sway bar's tension. And I did start with trying finger tightening, but I thought if I put enough pressure with the ratchet, that I could force the alignment of the bolt. Oh well, too little too late now. I see Advance has a metric tap and die set... it just doesn't say what sizes. I'll have to look around to see what I can find tomorrow.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i would think it to be wiser to use more than 5 turns........

you can always have the bolt measured so you canuse the right tap or you can drill it out and do the nut and bolt idea..if i recall theres been a couple of people that had a problem with that bolt snapping so getting a shorter bolt i think would be dangerous
Old 02-02-2007, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It may be hard to find that bolt, but I'm almost certain the ones holding the control arms have the

same thread/pitch size. I'm guessing it's a 1.25 pitch. So the dealer maybe your only choice...
Or some Honda's use this type for engine mounts, but you'll have to search around.

If you get a bolt from a hardware store, make sure it's grade 10.8 or higher.