TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Possible to lock car without alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-1999, 05:00 PM
Carl

Default Possible to lock car without alarm?

Short of pulling out the fuses, is there any way to lock the car without arming the alarm system?

I took the LI Ferry yesterday, they paged me to come down to the car deck and turn off the "damn alarm". The only way I could disarm the car was to leave it unlocked.

TIA
Carl
Old 12-19-1999, 07:08 PM
Ted

Good question, Carl! I don't know for sure but, I don't think so.
Old 12-19-1999, 07:23 PM
LarryTT

Default Re: Possible to lock car without alarm?

Carl:

I have had my TTQ on that ferry about 6 times in 6 weeks and the alarm has NEVER gone off!!

I have not been able to get it to go off at all. The only way I even know the alarm is even there is by the chirp on the alarm set and if I hit the "panic" button just to check.

I asked the dealer what sets the alarm off and the Service Manager told me that the ONLY way to get the alarm to go off is if someone BREAKS the glass, not too comforting in my opinion!

I have taken a key and tapped the glass with no effect. Does anyone else have there alarm go off?

Larry
180TTQ (128mph . . so far)
Old 12-19-1999, 09:43 PM
aaront

Default Re: Possible to lock car without alarm?

Doesn't turning off the motion sensor do what you need? (It's one of those buttons under the sliding door in the console). I haven't done any science on it yet, but my dealer (who has a TT himself) thought that if you're parked where buses or big trucks are going by, that this makes it less likely the alarm will go off.
Old 12-19-1999, 10:40 PM
AkRascal

Default I believe the switch turns off

the magnetic imaging. This senses if anything is moving within the car. I have to use it all the time because my dog is with me most of the time. If I forget and he moves, the alarm goes off. I don't believe it has anything to do with motion outside the car, or rocking like on a ferry. If one leaves the windows down and locks the car, anything intruding into the interior will set the alarm off. For instance is someone sticks their hand into the car to take something off the seat, the sensor detects it. I imagine this would be really nice to have on the roadster.
Old 12-20-1999, 05:49 AM
Carl

Default Imaging switch...

Thanks for the input... I did switch off the imaging sensor for inside the cabin, figuring that *something* inside the car was triggering the alarm. Although with the vibration all around, I couldn't be sure that it wasn't the exterior detection. The boat guy's patience was wearing thin, so I just left it unlocked to get him off my back - didn't have time to see if the interior sensor cutoff solved the problem...

Much more disconcerting is having an 18-wheel Kenworth parked directly behind your TT on a ferry. God, I hope he set HIS handbrake...

Defines the word "intimidating".
Old 12-20-1999, 05:58 AM
ObsessTT

Default Yep, got alarm to go off. Specifics enclosed.

The red lights in the doors must have slowed from the initial setting.

Do this:

1. open the windows.
2. get out of the car, step back 2 or 3 feet
3. close the doors
4. arm the alarm
5. wait until the lights slow to their secondary setting.
6. walk past the driver's side window. You don't even have to put your hand inside, just walk past it at close range.
7. disarm the alarm to stop the dogs from howling.

I have not been able to tap on part of the car to make the alarm chirp. I could do this on my Camry and Jeep GC. Also, other Audi's have the same alarm system. Perhaps searching the A4 board would yield an answer to your ferry question.

Ivan