TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Purchase TT Roadster 2001 or NOT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase TT Roadster 2001 or NOT?

Hi Members, I am considering the purchase of a TT Roadster with 80,000 miles on it. Has never been winter driven. Purchase price. $6,200.Timing belt and water pump have been replaced. I had the car inspected and the needed repairs will be done except the faulty cluster and secondary injection pump.

Here is my question: Given the age of the car and known problems from time to time, are there specific things I need to look out for? I really like this car but i am concerned that I might be committing an error by buying a 16-year-old car. This will be my everyday vehicle and I know I am taking a risk.

What do you fellow members think? Am I nuts to be buying this car? What are the biggest repairs/maintenance that I need to plan for? My other option is to go with a 2007 A6 3.2 Quattro with the same mileage.

Thanks for your feedback. I just can't afford a new one yet!
Old 05-02-2017, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Buying any 10+ year old car as a reliable daily driver is problematic because part age issues begin to occur as well as the usual wear issues. For example, engine vacuum leaks are common on older TTs. If it's been more than 5 years since the TB was replaced then it will need to be replaced again. You know the cluster will need to be rebuilt. Glove box and center console compartment latching are issues. Make sure they work perfectly because replacing the glove box latch is a $1K part new. My first TT was a 2001 roadster and I loved it but it had a minor problem about every 9 months. The 2000 and 2001 models seemed to have a lot of new design issues and were the subject of multiple recalls. IMO the 2002+ models were more reliable. My 2004 roadster was trouble free. Read this FAQ to learn more about the Mk 1 TT Fourtitude.com - Audi TT FAQ
The following users liked this post:
SDTTLove (05-23-2023)
Old 05-03-2017, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

I just bought a 52500 mile 2001 Roadster in Texas. Flew out to get it and drove it back to Alabama. It will not be my daily driver but I do plan to use it for Audi Club drives and weekend drives with my wife. I wanted a good one and luckily found one. My son lives in Ft Worth so I asked him to check it out for me before I flew out to buy it.
Here is the list I sent him.
---------------------------------------------
Things to check--

Do they have service records? Primarily interested in whether Timing Belt and water pump have been serviced. They are due based on time.

Are both remote keys present and working including opening trunk?

Check function of convertible top and air blocker ( both are electric)

Look at rear window bond to top and check for separation.

Is tonneau cover present? ( for top when folded)

Need photo of under hood to verify presence of all engine covers and see general condition.

Check fuel gauge reading against miles to empty in driver display. Should be 300-400 miles for full tank after driving a bit. Idling can distort. ( looking for bad fuel gauge) let idle long enough for radiator fans to run with AC off. temp gauge should be in middle. Check AC ( radiator fans should run when AC is on regardless of engine temp).
Accelerate hard in first gear. Wheel spin should not occur. Turn in tight circle at low speed should be smooth with no 4wd binding. ( checking function of rear drive)

Check for presence of engine compartment belly pan and look for damage.

Hold cruise control button in for 5 seconds with engine running. If check engine light begins to flash, ECU is chipped ( APR tuned)

Are manuals present?

Do all tires match?

Look for any dings.

Check glove compartment door latch for proper operation. ( they break $$$$)

Your general opinion. Unless really nice I don't want it.

---------------------------------------------

It turned out to be better than I hoped and I'm happy.
I changed the Timing Belt water pump and tensioner due to age.
It needed a thermostat, a radiator fan ( the left one) and a windshield washer pump.

I paid $7000. for it and spent about $1000. on maintenance. I feel like I got a really good deal.

Grandsons like it too!

Last edited by J. Patterson; 05-04-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmontreal
Hi Members, I am considering the purchase of a TT Roadster with 80,000 miles on it. Has never been winter driven. Purchase price. $6,200.Timing belt and water pump have been replaced. I had the car inspected and the needed repairs will be done except the faulty cluster and secondary injection pump.

Here is my question: Given the age of the car and known problems from time to time, are there specific things I need to look out for? I really like this car but i am concerned that I might be committing an error by buying a 16-year-old car. This will be my everyday vehicle and I know I am taking a risk.

What do you fellow members think? Am I nuts to be buying this car? What are the biggest repairs/maintenance that I need to plan for? My other option is to go with a 2007 A6 3.2 Quattro with the same mileage.

Thanks for your feedback. I just can't afford a new one yet!
Any pictures of the prospect car?