TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Purchasing advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing advice

I'm looking into getting an '01 TT quattro and was hoping to get some advice on what I should be asking while I'm out searching. I've found some low mileage (50-60k) ones for around $8-10k and some with higher mileage (100-115k) for around $4-5k. I know the timing chain is the big thing to find out about but are there other significant parts that I should be trying to get information on? Any general advice on owning an 18-year-old audi?

Much appreciated.

-z
Old 06-05-2019, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Advice on owning an 18 yr old Audi? Have a fat wallet!... LoL....

But seriously...
1) Have a 3rd party VW/Audi mechanic who you can trust. Any car you buy has to undergo your mechanics' inspection. The $100-$200 you spend on the inspection will save you a lot more in the long run. Especially if you can use the report in purchase negotiations. On one inspection, my mechanic found the car had accident damage even the owner didn't know about.
2) Ensure the car you want to buy has a lot of receipts for maintenance and repairs. If no receipts, has not been done no matter what the owner states. It will also tell you how reliable the car is.
3) Sometimes, the high millage cars are in better shape than the low millage ones. Don't discount the car based just on the millage. Sometimes, especially if you want to keep the car for a long time, is to start with good bones... ie. car shell. Mechanicals can be fixed, no so much with a car shell or interior trim.
4) Pay more than you feel its worth if it is in better than average shape. It has probably been taken care of and will last longer... give you better value. Cost is intrinsic... buy a lower priced car & spend more to fix it, or spend more while ensuring the maintenance and repairs have been done.
5) Don't cheap out on maintenance. It will reflect on how the car will run and be dependable. 3rd party parts are OK as long as they are OEM quality. Expect to pay more for parts - it's not a Corolla.
6) Invest more time and $$$ than you planned... good 16-20 yr old cars aren't easy to find. I got mine from Japan fairly cheap and with 'good bones', but it'll cost me more than buying a local one by the time I'm done to have it the way I want (immaculate & rock solid mechanicals & redone interior panels).

Last edited by JoeKan; 06-05-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Read this FAQ https://forums.fourtitude.com/showth...44-Audi-TT-FAQ
In addition to the timing belt issue, chronic problems unique to the TT are the glove box latch (costs $1000 to replace with new - no joke), and the top latch switch on roadsters (easy fix).
As with any 18 year old car, assume all rubber hoses (fluid, vacuum, etc) will need replacing if you want reliable performance.