TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

question on salvage value 2005 TT roadster 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So this project has been completed. Currently catching up on maintenance(oil & filter, Haldex filter & fluid, PS fluid flush, air, fuel & cabin filters, plugs & coil packs, Brake flush) and enjoying driving this around.
I don't think it was a financial "winner" as I have about $7800 into the whole deal but it certainly kept me entertained for a couple/three months and I learned a ton of new stuff.
Even the DMV process was straight forward and simple to get through, with the proper documents.
Hoping to get my $$ back out but the salvage title will hurt its resale value.

Biggest miscalculation was locating a usable front S-line bumper cover....They're just not out there so I had to buy new one at $1500 when I had hoped to score a used one for $400
Went with a new Audi radiator, Audi hoses and AC condenser and used Audi hood, Audi grille and Audi radiator support.
Used an Audi tab repair kit on the headlights.

A few pics to document the process.
Thanks
Tbruz

As purchased- this is totaled?

Teardown complete-all bolt on stuff...ZERO frame damage.

Almost there

Done

Last edited by tbruz; 06-22-2019 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
randomid123 (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. Nice rebuild.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Missing picture - Top Down...

Yeah - it's a 'Labour of Love' - You never get a 'Return on Investment' if you do it right.. Only the enjoyment of the time you put in, and the time to 'flog it' on the back roads. Think of it like a "Vacation" - you've paid for the trips you get to enjoy now.
Mine is quite similar - price of the car was ~25% of what I put into it. But the "Smiles and Giggles" I get now are priceless.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Great job! Now. Tell us about the blue Bronco! :-)
Old 06-26-2019, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That’s been in my hands since 1997, way before Bronco were HOT collectibles.
its was a one owner 24k mile vehicle that was my daily driver for 3 years until I backed it into a pole and took out the tire carrier, tailgate and lift gate in 2000. While repairing that I went frame off on it. Now It has 40k miles and is still 100% showroom stock.
It has seen incredible appreciation in value over the past 7 years and is only a Sunny Sunday driver now.
Thanks for noticing it
tbruz
Old 07-02-2019, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbruz
Thanks for the reply Mister Bally
Fully understand that value is variable by individual but is a $3K-3.5K acquisition cost for a low mile wreck an unreasonable number to spend given that it will likely need $2k of parts.
It appears to have been well maintained(up to the wreck) engine is good, wheels are clean and unblemished. No idea on Haldex rear end. Vehicle was not driven in winters, mint interior and has very recent tires/brakes; less than 5k miles.

Bottom line is when done have I put 5 to 6K into a car worth only 3k ?
Thanks
Tbruz
Hi Tbruz,
If you are looking for a good little project car I might be willing to part with my 2000 TT Quattro coupe. It is in very good condition for a 20 year old vehicle inside, the body is in very good shape, with the exception of the front bumper which I would just cut out (if you are interested I'll take pictures, then it will make more sense). The only catch is the turbo is on it's way out, it is spitting a little oil, which gunked up the MAF. The MAF has been replaced, but I'm honestly afraid to drive it without doing something about the turbo first. Since I just don't have time for a project the size of a turbo swap (and I would probably go bigger if I did), I just bought a 2004 TT. You are about an hour away from me if you want to come up and take a look. Honestly, I don't want to sell it, but I don't want it sitting either and a father-son project would make me happy knowing it would have a good life. If you are interested shoot me a message and I'll get into the details and send pics.