TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Question for you TT guys...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2000, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for you TT guys...

I have some questions concerning the S3, and since it is so similar to the TT, I thought this would be the best place to ask them...

Today it was a cold and rainy day here in Greece, with the temp around 5 degrees C. It was the first time the car was out in the rain, and I decided to visit a round-about that my Golf MK3 GTI knew very well...I can't say that I epxected what actually happened...\My car has ESP fitted, but it was turned off during the "test". I did not enter the round-about at a high speed, but I floored the car mid-way. Some noise was coming for the front of the car (as if the ABS was trying to kick in) and the car understeered a lot and opened its trajectory... I lifted off, and the car started to close its line, and the steering to get some feed-back...Does anybody have any idea of where the noise was coming from?Was it the antispin, the front diff or what???
Since that was not what I expected from the Haldex, and did not know what was going wrong at the front of the car, I decicided to have another go.
This time, I entered the round-about at approx. the same speed as the first time, kept the same speed in the round-about, and floored it before exiting.Same thing again, same noise from the front of the car, underred a lot, went to the opposite lane, tried to correct by turning the steering wheel, think I lifted off in the meanwhile, then floored it,the noise stoped, sudden oversteer... corrected it with opposite lock... The whole of the car was in the wrong lane but this time it griped and was sliding with all four wheels while accelerating towards the oncoming trafic... That was fun!!!
Can anyone try to explain what was going on, and give some directions?
I then went on another slippery turn, that I've tried when dry, and the ESP kicked in (this time it was on). Nothinh happened, expect the car griping with all four wheels, the ESP did not interfear at all, and the car kept on accelerating.

Can you please give me your thoughts???
It is very difficult to find a place and "test" the car, hence i would appreciate any feedback for my next try...
Old 12-23-2000, 12:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No idea ,cause I have a FWD TT.But hi to aGreek friend from TTurkey.
Old 12-23-2000, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Question for you TT guys...

Hi NikoS3, I am from Greece too!
I have a FWD TT, and sometimes I get the same noise coming from the front of the car. This happens during hard accelaration with the wheels turned. It's my guess that it's the electronic differential. Check the exact origin of the noise, is it coming from the wheel which is in the inner side of the turn?
Old 12-23-2000, 05:55 AM

Default Thanks! Wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Hope you enjoy your TT!
Old 12-23-2000, 05:57 AM

Thanks anyway Levent! Enjoy your TT and Happy New Year!
Old 12-23-2000, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default EDL works up to 40 km/ h. But ,I think Niko feels and hears.....

the noise at more faster speeds. But you may be right ,especially if Niko finds out that the noise is from inner wheel ( in this case it may be EDL ) But again what about the 40 km/h of working speed of EDL. ????
Old 12-23-2000, 08:17 AM

Describe the noise? Popping, grinding, snapping, etc...
Old 12-23-2000, 03:31 PM

Sound is the almost identical to that when the ABS is kicking in (not a continuous sound).