TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Scratched my wheel rims again! :( Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-1999, 05:20 PM
JamesTT

Default Scratched my wheel rims again! :( Any suggestions?

I'm sitting here ready to kick myself because for the second time in a month I've scratched my wheel rims whilst parking my TT. It seems hard to avoid this type of accident here in Central London - we have residents parking schemes in operation (i.e. fairly tight spaces). Also the TT is fairly wide, so I have to work hard to get it near to the curb so as to keep it out of the way of passing buses.

I am becoming jealous of those of you on the forum who live in the remoter parts of Colorado and Texas (and have off-street parking).

This question has been asked before, I know, but is there a 'cure' for these types of scrapes other than (eventually) replacing the wheel?

Another possibility - is there a tyre available for the TT with a wider shoulder which would feel the kerb scrapes before the wheels?

TIA
Old 12-18-1999, 07:22 AM
Russ

Default Re: Me Too

I sympathize totally with your dilema. I have succeeded in doing the same thing twice in the first two weeks of ownership of my TT. It makes me ill when I approach the car and see these two blemishes (gashes) prominently displayed.

I live in a very urban environment (San Francisco) where space is very tight and you are supposed to curb your wheels. I chalk the first hit up to inexeperience with the car and not realizing that 17 tires enhance this risk (these are the first I have owned). But the second incident occurred even with my hypervigilance simply because I cannot sense where the tires are in parallel parking. I try to stay six inches from the curb despite the increased risk of sticking out too far in the road.

I agree that wider tires might add some buffer. It would also be nice for Audi or the dealer to warn about this. My dealer here spent two hours with me going over the car at delivery with a wide variety of do's and don'ts but did not mention this hazzard.

I guess I will allow these gouges to pile up and think about at some point replacing the rims. It must really hurt the resale value. The solution is to move to the suburbs and keep it in a garage.
Old 12-18-1999, 02:40 PM
gadgetboy

Default This may help.....

This is a fix for scratched A4 5 spoke wheels.<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/faq/faqs/faq72.shtml">Repairing Scratched Wheels from Audiworld</a></li></ul>