TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Steering Wheel ?, Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel ?, Any Ideas?

Would anyone know of a shop that can re-upholster/cover our steering wheel with a material close to the Audi Alcantara material in the greater Southern California area (preferably OC, but will drive just about anywhere)? I don't care if the shop requires removal and delivery of the wheel separately or if they do the work. All I care about is that it be a reputable shop and that it cost less than $300. I went to a dealer today and they want over $600 for the wheel which is funny since the option was listed at approximately $250 on the cars it was shipped with. He justified it by saying that the option list price only reflected the Alcantara material and not the actual wheel and that the price of the wheel is already included in the car. So by buying a new wheel, you have to pay for the Alcantara material and the price of the wheel. Too bad they don't take core exchanges. I would have gladly given them my mint condition wheel.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:48 AM

It's always more expensive to add stock options aftermarket
Old 08-27-2003, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default on same note i'm sorry that i didn't order that option either.

if you will have it done please poste it.
all i need is a matirial (Alcantara) & will redoit myself.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:21 AM
gtt
AudiWorld Super User

Default Peel off the leather and put on alcantra material yourself or an upholsterer.

To me alcantra looks worse than smooth leather and over time I don't think will age and feel as well. Good for grip though.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Peel off the leather and put on alcantra material yourself or an upholsterer.

I agree, that's why I am asking if anyone knows a good shop(that does this kind of work). I don't know about you, but I don't just want to show up at a local car upholsterer and have them start trying rip the wheel off and accidentally triggerring the airbag or scratch-up the interior in the process.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you are right, be aware ...
Old 08-27-2003, 10:24 AM

Default Alcantara Info > >

I have an alcantara wheel and never knew what exactly the material is. ...I just found this website (see link). I thought it was some type of suede, but it's actually a synthetic material. That's good, since it will be easier to clean. I've had it for a year and haven't needed to clean it yet. It's holding up real well. Of course, I don't eat much fried chicken though. =)<ul><li><a href="http://www.alcantara.it/english/index.htm">Alcantara Info</a></li></ul>
Old 08-27-2003, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Alcantara Info > >

Thanks BlueprinTT. At least this gives me a source for the material. Still need help with a shop recomendation if anyone knows.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:35 AM
gtt
AudiWorld Super User

Default No....you are right. Try and bargain with the dealer......

They do have to remove and replace the wheel so there is $100. Anyones labor will be close to $350 for the rewrapping. Remove the wheel, remove the leather, cut material to same pattern, stitch etc., reinstall wheel. So more likely $300-500 is a good ballpark depending on custom or OEM.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:45 AM

Default Re: No....you are right. Try and bargain with the dealer......

Thanks. Never even considered having the dealer do the removal and re-install. That's definately an idea. Now I just need to find someone who truly knows what they are doing when it comes to re-skinning the actual wheel.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel ?, Any Ideas?