TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT mkII or not (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TT mkII or not (long)

I am not a bit surprised by the comments 2953 posted earlier on the status of Audi's second generation TT. Last week I mentioned, and received some scorn, that there was little evidence of the TT mkII. Usually, "spy" photographs of new models are leaked several months before a model's debut. There were early spy photographs of TT posted-utilizing the body of our beloved car. However, news as well as most gossip has ceased to exist.

Several months ago an article in "Automotive News" stated that the next generation TT was going to aluminium construction and utilized the new VW Golf/A3 platform. This is similar to today's vehicle. There was also commentary to suggest that the next gen TT is going to be larger than today's product. However, Audi is rumored to be working on an A4-based coupe; one is left to ponder what's the potential overlap in having two similar-sized coupes in the same product line-up. Couple this with the possibility that the A4-based coupe will be based on the new B8 platform.

Last week's AutoCar Magazine contained a photograph of what is believed to be the new platform wearing the body work of a B6 A4.

The photograph shows an Audi with little front overhang when compared to the current crop of longitudinal engined Audi's. The article attached to the photograph describes a new powertrain arrangement ordering. According to the article, the front differential is mounted ahead of the engine with the transmission located behind the engine. This configuration is a true front mid-engine design and very similar to configurations employed by many Lamborghini's! Really interesting since Audi is the parent of Lamborghini!

Continuing with my laborious analysis add the competition. Frankly, the TT is outgunned on the handling front by most of the competition. The Porsche Boxster/Cayman twins, the Nissan 350Z, the Corvette, the M-B SLK, and the BMW Z4 all out-handle the TT and most likely the next generation car based on the Golf platform. However, building a TT, or its replacement, on the new B8 platform replete with aluminium body shell lends to a very potent challenger to the competition. Additionally, VW is then free to move into production the roadster based on the Golf platform without harming the TT. Furthermore, Audi's new platform, if indeed it is a true front-mid engine configuration, simplifies adherence to the EU's pedestrian safety standards, something that the current TT has a very hard time passing. The engine and other hardpoints are too close to the front of the car.

The final bit of imformation I will add is that this week's issue has an interview with Martin Winterkorn, Audi's head, expressing his goal of making Audi the number one premium brand by 2010. Therefore, Audi would need to move away from most VW-based platforms to achieve this goal.

Cordially,

John J. Szobocsan
Old 07-12-2005, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice analysis. i don't know enough to respond, but i found it interesting!
Old 07-12-2005, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, I for one believe ............

there will be a MKII TT. It will be based upon the parts set of the PQ or MKV/A cars and won't be based upon the B8 platform because Audi WILL be building the A5 on that platform.

I think what is going on right now is that the aluminum space frame construction is posing major cost issues due to the whole euro/dollar things and probably other issues related to cost. They might be rethinking the use of the aluminum space frame. I hope they don't but who knows.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Well, I for one believe ............

Joe,

The analysis I have presented is based on information available in the public-domain and is purely made as a discussion point for this forum.

The cost factors of aluminium construction are probably less of an issue because Audi would be able to hedge the aluminium risk and associated currency risk through long-term contracting.

Something that I failed to mention above is a recent survey on the coolness of brands among the 18-24 year group. Many cannot currently purchase a car but will be consumers in the not too distant future. The number one brand for coolness/trendiness is Scion followed closely by Volkswagen. Porsche and BMW are viewed as cool. Unfortunately, future consumers view Audi as a stodgy brand, on par with Buick and Land Rover!

Show cars and brands that capture the heart of the youth are a very important component of future sales. Audi needs to work hard on overcoming this future liability and one way is to offer products that are hits with the auto writers. Lets face it, very few auto writers express desire with Audi's current product offering. That can be overcome with products that have handling characteristics that excel and match the execution of design and construction currently found in the product.

Cordially,

John J. Szobocsan
Old 07-12-2005, 02:26 PM

Default well i guess i'm one of the few 18-24yr old that think audi is cool

i'm 19
Old 07-12-2005, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think you presented alot of good points.......

but as far as aluminum construction - it's VERY expensive to do - they only have one plant that can do it and it's very expensive to repair, all things that Audi has to consider. VAG is a MAJOR cost cutting mode right now and prices are escalating and affecting sales targets. I just wouldn't be surprised if that is one of the major factors.

Let's face it 18-24's are going to have the cash to get in a TT - hell they couldn't afford a current TT. The A3 sales in the US are sluggish - in part due to the fact that with a couple simple options it's pushing $30k which is a breaking point for that demographic. As for appeal - I think Audi will build more dynamic cars - but i'm not expecting them to be on par with say a Porsche Cayman - not much on the road will be :-)
Old 07-12-2005, 02:32 PM

The entire product line or just the TT?
Old 07-12-2005, 02:34 PM

the entire product line eventhough i own a TT
Old 07-12-2005, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

I saw the prototype using the old body styling at nurburgring this spring.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:43 PM

Default I agree with you

Aluminium construction is very costly in terms of manufacture and repair; however, the costs decrease with more units produced. Audi needs to produce more aluminium-based cars to make this building technique, and an essential Audi competence, economically viable. The costs are more easily justified on higher margin products, i.e., higher priced cars like the A8 and A9 "LeMans". Similarly, the new A4-based coupe would be a suitable candidate for aluminium construction.

I guess only time will tell what will become of the TT.

Cordially,

John J. Szobocsan

Quick Reply: TT mkII or not (long)