TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Turn2 Lightweight Underpulley installed.... I like it alotttttt...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn2 Lightweight Underpulley installed.... I like it alotttttt...

I know that most people don't really notice anything, but I like the Turn2 underpulley alot. I had my mechanic install it when he did my timing belt, etc yesterday.

The car revs a little faster, but most importantly, the car is easy to start off now. I always hated my clutch because it seemed to catch very low and very quickly, and I either
1) revved high and launched kinda fast because I was trying to keep the RPM's up so car didn't feel like it was going to die

2) keep the RPM's low and hold the clutch in longer so it didn't feel like it was going to die

but w/ the underpulley the car seems to keep it's RPM's up better when first starting off (like in 1st gear) and I don't feel like the car is going to die anymore, and it seems MUCH smoother... Hope my description makes sense!

For $100, I am very happy!
Old 03-27-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Did it fit ok with the stock bolts due to the thicker Turn2 mounting plate?

I still have mine sitting in the car.
Will do it when weather gets warmer and I get time...
Old 03-27-2005, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default so why do you keep modding if your getting rid of the TT?

you need those p2's back, they were sick
Old 03-27-2005, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yep... everything fit fine...

it's an easy install too, just loosen (remove)the serpentine belt, undo 3 bolts, and stick it on ... it's purty too (not that you can see it)
Old 03-27-2005, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I ask myself the same question... but it's so hard to stop!

hahha... i'm not selling the car immediately anyways, and the stuff i'm adding are relatively easy to install/uninstall, or leave on the car items....

I know, I miss my wheels... i'll get another set someday!
Old 03-27-2005, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hmmm is this relevant?

I was looking over on vortex and saw this thread. It was talking about negative effects when new pullies were installed. These are the same pullies you installed correct? and do these arguments hold any truth? just thought it was interesting...<ul><li><a href="http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1893484">clicky</a></li></ul>
Old 03-27-2005, 08:57 PM

Default from what ive seen, theres like 2 kinds of pullys

theres the crank pully and theres the underdrive pullys. The vw guys seem to be using the underdrive ones and thats what there having probs with.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was told by my mechanic who put it on for me (he has one too)..>>

that it does wear something over time, and he actually recommended I didn't put it on(eventhough he has one too, strange huh?)

I haven't heard of anyone having such big wear problems, only people saying that they have run theirs for a lot of miles and had No problems.

Hypothetically, everything I am doing to my car makes it wear faster... but I don't anticipate any large detrimental effects in the short run from putting on the underdrive pulley.... and it's purty and makes the car more fun. hahahaha
Old 03-28-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Here's a interesting comment about pulley's from Vortex... I dunno enough to agree or disagree...

tsuter

437 posts

verona wi
VW NB 2000GLX, Porsche 911SC Turbo (Thaaat's right!), HD 2002 FLHTCUI

Nope. VW 1.8 does not use an elastomer (rubber ring) incorporated into the crank pulley that looks similar to a harmonic damper.

This is what the manufacturers call NVH (Noise Vibration &amp; Harshness) when referring to noticeable noise and vibration in the passenger compartment.

But VW does not use this and in any case it is for NVH not harmonic dampening.

The VW 1.8T is internally balanced and does not require or use an external damper or balancer.

People are getting their VW crank pulleys confused with the harmonic dampers found on some V6 / V8 engines.

"Harmonic Balancer" is a term that is used loosely in the automotive industry. Technically, this type of device does not exist. The "balancer" part comes from engines that are externally balanced and have a counterweight cast into the damper, hence the merging of the two terms.

None of the VW 1.8L motors utilize a counterweight as part of the pulley as these engines are internally balanced.

There is a lot of internet hearsay about the VW crank pulleys. When engine problems occur, too often people are quick to blame the pulley first.

The fact is that proper manufactured light weight crank pulleys have the opposite effect on engine bearings. The combination of tight tolerances, quality control, perfect balance, and dramatic weight loss versus the stock pulleys reduces stress loads on your engine, extending the total service life you can expect from your engine.

Engine bearing problems are purely associated to poor engine maintenance, use of heavier than factory recommended oils, improper engine building practices (which includes poor balancing), excessively revving engines when they are cold, and owners expecting their factory oil pumps to handle engine power outputs beyond 3, 4, even 5+ times the stock power levels.