TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

typical glovebox issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default typical glovebox issue

just bought a 2001 TT with a broken glovebox
i have pulled the whole assembly, need to separate the door from the box, seems as if the pins are froze in the hinges? is that how to get the door off to remove the fuzzy cover to attempt to repair the latch mech? i have removed the little hyd actuator but the pins seem stuck ?
thanks

doug
Old 11-22-2019, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Don't think it's made to come apart. Audi sells you the entire box to replace the latch. Only $1000
Old 11-22-2019, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

ok, thanks
Old 11-23-2019, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh I was hoping for a different reply too
Old 11-23-2019, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default glove box door

Originally Posted by stingray230sx
just bought a 2001 TT with a broken glovebox
i have pulled the whole assembly, need to separate the door from the box, seems as if the pins are froze in the hinges? is that how to get the door off to remove the fuzzy cover to attempt to repair the latch mech? i have removed the little hyd actuator but the pins seem stuck ?
thanks

doug
Hi Doug, what do I have to do to get it out and on a bench to work on my stuck glove box. Fastener locations and sizes? Thanks
Old 11-27-2019, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Unkel Dale
Hi Doug, what do I have to do to get it out and on a bench to work on my stuck glove box. Fastener locations and sizes? Thanks
door closed? latch doesnt work? remove the trim plate on passenger side of dash, there is a small hole you can depress the latch pin so the door will open....
with the glove box door open there are three t25 torx screws along the top, and one located on the side where the trim panel was removed
two more on each side of the bottom, just above the storage pocket, use a long torx or a socket torx on an extension
that should get it to drop out and away
Old 11-27-2019, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes door closed, perfect response thanks
Old 11-27-2019, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are some electrical connectors you'll need to disconnect if you're removing the glovebox. One is for the airbag switch, not sure what the other 1 or 2 were, but when I removed mine I recall there were at least 2. I recommend having something on the floor to lower the glovebox onto that can support it if you're working alone. A cardboard box of the right height would work. FWIW, the procedure was in the Bentley service manual.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

One connector is for the air bag, the other for the glove box light.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bruce_R
There are some electrical connectors you'll need to disconnect if you're removing the glovebox. One is for the airbag switch, not sure what the other 1 or 2 were, but when I removed mine I recall there were at least 2. I recommend having something on the floor to lower the glovebox onto that can support it if you're working alone. A cardboard box of the right height would work. FWIW, the procedure was in the Bentley service manual.
good catch, i totally forgot to mention those as mine were disconnected when i pulled the glove box out......this interior on my car is a wreck, i have never seen such brittle plastics, not to mention almost none of it is available ...lol

Quick Reply: typical glovebox issue