TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Ugh! I decided to take everyone's advice and gave my girlfriend my TT for the day--> (more)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ugh! I decided to take everyone's advice and gave my girlfriend my TT for the day--> (more)

She is still learning the whole manual tranny thing, so after a few more "training sessions" I decided to cut her loose on her own. As some of you had suggested, she is probably too nervous with me breathing down her neck from the passenger seat to really get comfortable. So I had her drive me to work this morning and take the car back home for the day.

"Call me when you get home so I know you made it back OK," I asked her.

So she just called me to tell me she made it home OK, but she stopped off at the grocery store on the way, and then drove away from the store with the parking brake on!!

She said she couldn't figure out what she was doing wrong at first, and how tough it was to get going. Well no ****!! Eventually she figured it out and released the brake, but only after driving for about a quarter of a mile.

Could this have caused any damage? I'm thinking she had to really slip the clutch to get the car moving, and the rotors had to get pretty warm. She said she didn't have the brake yanked all the way up (otherwise I don't think she could have gotten it going at all). But man, I feel like we are learning lessons the hard way!
Old 05-24-2002, 06:20 AM

Default From what I know... Yes. But nothing major. Just maybe some new brakes in the rear.

But the TT parking brake sucks anyway. Couldn't have gripped that hard.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not in my TT, but in my 4Runner I did something worse >>>

I let the brake ALMOST all the way down. Somehow I managed to leave it up one notch. I had a 5,000 pound boat trailer behind me. I didn't notice for over a mile.

I wouldn't think it would cause too much damage unless she drove it very fast, but I'm no expert.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hee hee! The "been there, done that" story.

As has most everyone.

Warped rotors are probably the only issue, but that's unlikely; glazed pads would really be a stretch. Just drive it, and if the brakes feel normal, it's OK.

Beyond that, there are whole threads here on the "driving w/parking brake on" subject. Just read a few, have a laugh, and press. Cheers!
Old 05-24-2002, 06:26 AM
Elder Member

Default When you say: "Call me when you get home so I know you made it back OK"

by "you" you clearly mean the car, right? ;-)
Old 05-24-2002, 06:38 AM

Default Did same this morning....am in a 2.8 Tip loaner. Usually

with an automatic I never set the parking brake (no hills around here).

So, here I am trying to get the car moving up the street...but it's soooooo sluggish..... about fifty yards from the house when I notice the absent minded deed. hehhehe, it's a loaner.

In all honesty, if it was a quarter mile....girlfriends usually don't set the parking brake too firmly, so little damage done, I'm sure. Rest easy....and you guys have a laugh over it tonigt....cause lessons ARE learned the hard way.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:39 AM

Kinda gives "brake horsepower" a whole new meaning....
Old 05-24-2002, 06:42 AM

1/4 mile won't do any damage.....
Old 05-24-2002, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No big deal...unfortunately, it happens. I'd be happy she was honest enough to tell you!!!
Old 05-24-2002, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

OK good, I feel better.

Quick Reply: Ugh! I decided to take everyone's advice and gave my girlfriend my TT for the day--> (more)