TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

UK Donuts Anyone? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-1999, 06:23 AM
garyc

Default UK Donuts Anyone? (long)

UK has had a cold spell with some rare snow and ice in south. Came into office on Sunday (no I'm not that sad and I have a life, just needed to collect something!) Presented with a white ice on snowy, virginal and empty large car park, I thought I would try some hooligan antics. Anyway, dialled in a few revs and floored it going straight. Weeeeee! 4 wheels spinning. Put some lock on and then backed off. Wahhaey oversteer - looking out the side window. More throttle and held beautiful (well it felt that way) 4 wheel spinning drift. Backed off and it fishtailed other way. Got to about 45 degrees held it then span.

Had great fun exploring handling until security showed up advising me on 15mph site limit and that they would be informing my boss (no big deal; he wants a go now!)

But. HOW DO YOU GET A DONUT? i found that you can get the rear kicking out and spinning and a sharp cornering angle. Trouble is that the drive shunts back and forward translating to forward motion such that it feels impossible to get enough drive to rear to get that spinning donut. I tried gentle and agressive techniques but the 4wd out smarted me each time.

I am not a rally driver and, hey flamers, I know this could be deemed irresponsible on public road and the Haldex is probably set up to stop people like me, but I am interested if it is possible to donut (or very tight power turn) in a constant and controlled way.

It was great fun to play with the cars limits at such relatively low speeds and discover just how good the traction is. The brakes, on the other hand, are terrible in such conditions.

My drive home after was quite boring, even though going easy, I left a trail of struggling and some abandoned Fwd and rwd machines behind. The car is very confidence inspiring and I really appreciated the seat warmers (having previously complained that cruise would be a better option!)
Old 12-20-1999, 06:46 AM
Victor F

Excellent. I have yet to find the right snowy/wet conditions and a safe play area to find limits
Old 12-20-1999, 07:56 AM
rob b

Default Re: seat warmers

I agree about the seat warmers, it was freezing in London this morning. However, a heated steering wheel would be nice (or am I just a southern jessie?)
Old 12-20-1999, 08:08 AM
garyc

Heated gear **** too! Don't know about jessie bit, i''m a southerner also!
Old 12-20-1999, 08:47 AM
Jenner

UK TT's don't have cruise control? US ones do....
Old 12-20-1999, 07:46 PM
graham

Cruise optional on Oz cars too, heated seats not available (not needed anyway)
Old 12-21-1999, 12:24 PM
Marius B

Re: Donut recipe: From stand-still: 1st lock/5500 rpm.
Old 12-21-1999, 12:26 PM
Marius B

Sorry: Donut recipe: From stand-still: 1st gear/full lock/5500 rpm.
Old 12-22-1999, 03:52 AM
garyc

S**t! The snows gone and we have no promise of more in SW UK. But I am ready for it !