TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Wheel bolt torque 45flbs to 90flbs-MORE

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-1999, 12:43 PM
Jim Torongo

Default Wheel bolt torque 45flbs to 90flbs-MORE

It was a nice long weekend so I put the TT up on jack stands and removed the wheels for cleaning and to get access to the brakes for inspection and general look over. I found that the wheel bolts ( the TT does not use lug nuts) had torque numbers that were very different. I used a torgue wrench to lossen then so I could get an approximate value. The lowest was 45lbs to lossen, up to 105lbs. The problem with this is that the call out in the manual is 90 foot pounds. The dealer rotated my tires at 5000 miles and apparently wasn't very careful about tightening the wheel bolts. Cars with disc brakes can have a problem with rotor warp if the wheel lugs are unevenly tightened so I set things right. I like to use a pattern of cross tightening in steps so I get even results and I always use a torque wrench. Just an FYI you might want to check. JIM
Old 09-07-1999, 01:34 PM
been there

Never seen a service guy use anything but an air impact wrench, their spec is on or off. (nt)
Old 09-07-1999, 06:49 PM
audiguy

Default Re: Never seen a service guy use anything but an air impact wrench, their spec is on or off. (nt)

Most of us use torque sticks. Special socket/extension combos that tughten to a predetermined torque.Different one for each car.
Old 09-08-1999, 02:16 AM
Marius B

Default Re: Never seen a tire shop guy use anything but an air impact wrench. (nt)

nt
Old 09-08-1999, 05:08 AM
Bruce R.

Default You can't get a proper torque reading on bolt removal..

Even if they were put on properly to start with. If they were done right the first time it would have required at least three passes with the wrench, each pass slightly tighter than the last.
Have you EVER seen anybody do that?
Old 09-08-1999, 06:07 AM
JIm Torongo

Default If it only takes 40lbs to lossen a bolt then there is no way it was the spec of 90 ft lbs- more

I don't know what you are trying to say. Anyway the bolts did not have the proper torque spec and there is no doubt about that. Highly uneven bolt torque can and does cause rotor warp, ask anybody who works on a race car that knows what they are doing. I know alot of shops use impact wrenchs and that is not the way to do it (Nascar uses special impact tools). I do two step tightening and thats what I'm comfortable with. Hay maybe after 30 years of working on car and motorcycle engines transmissions and chassis I have no idea what I'm doing, I've just been lucky so far. JIM