TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Wind blocker

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wind blocker

Doesn't work... How difficult is it to change out the motor?
Old 12-06-2019, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tackling this next Friday. My motor works. Are you sure it’s not the belt? They are notorious for failing and you can buy a new one for 35 buck plus shipping.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It is a real pain in the *** to do. requires drilling out rivets u cannot even see.
9 out of 10 it is not the motor. But the plastic belt that gets slack in it tangles wraps around the spinning motor and snaps. At Audi $1000 or more to fix. And a convertible top repair place is going to be close to that price.Not counting any curve ball this repair maybe.The belt is around $120.. So unless you are going to attempt this yourself. Either get someone that has done this before. Or just go to Audi and let them do it. Because you can damage the plastic the window rides up on causing your window to pop out, when roof is either going up or down. I hope this helps...
Ya it sucks, you will not even find a good video on U tube,,,,

Len
The following users liked this post:
Tattooed_shawn (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Know what do

Len

my friend and I can attest to what an absolute pain this is. I did get the aftermarket belt. We did crack off the very end of the plastic shroud that sits over the riveted part of assembly. A little gorilla glue and the cracks cannot be seen.

we drilled out the four rivets. No need to put in new ones. Used zip ties.

Did I fix it? Not yet. There is a bit of chicken and egg going on here. As suspected, the belt was gone. The passenger side stem was all chewed up. So you have to wonder if that went and that tore up the belt or the belt went and that tore up the slave stem. Found the piece state side fit 120. Like so many before me who asked the questions.... this piece was not designed to be serviced.

I will try to get better pics for future roadster victims!
The following users liked this post:
Tattooed_shawn (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, I would like to see what u have done. Since I have the same issue. Now remember when u have the top down. Look in the center of the roof u will see 3 plastic strips about 8 '' long or so. That is the part where your window slides along..(as a guide).. be careful not to disturb that in anyway.

I really need to know where those riviots are located and how u drill them out. This issue I was scared to start drilling and pulling apart.Since I have no idea where to start.

Thank u ,
Len
Old 01-06-2020, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Wind blocker saga

I wanted to update those interested in fixing this. I took out the slave stem as it was chewed up from the belt failure. No room to work whatsoever. The ideal way to do this would be to remove the entire piece which is more labor intensive and a lot of trim has to come off. I want to avoid that as this is a 2001 and I am sure the trim is dried out and would easily crack if I start prying at it. I got the stem to sit in the bottom section but it popped out as I secure the top part. This fix is fighting me all the way. I am inclined to leave it up, seal it up and pull the fuse. I plan on getting a new top later this year so that might be a much easier time to get at the slave stem. Its crazy hard to work in that spot. Even having sourced all the right parts and viewing the schematic, this job is kicking my butt.