TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Wind Deflector

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Deflector

I am hoping that some technical folks are on here, and may be able to offer some assistance. I purchased a 2001 Roadster. I bit tired, so I am working all the small issues prior to driving regularly. My last issue is the rear wind deflector. I will try not to run on, but details are important. When I picked up the car, I could hear deflector motor running whenever the key was on. Reading all the suggestions about the belt, I pulled the entire assembly. After cleaning it all, replacing the belt and motor, I just put it all back together. Before installing it, I checked the motor by 12v battery and it went up and down as smooth as possible. As soon as I turned the key on, it immediately went down and the motor continues to run on. No doubt this is the fault that killed the last motor. The old motor would spin, but the cup that joins to the jack-screw appears to be sheared internally. First thought was the switch was stuck in the "down" position. Checked it with a digital meter and it is fine. No effect on operation when working the up/down switch. I pulled the relay (control module) and the power was killed as expected, but whenever I replace the module, it try's to cycle the motor down- even with the switch disconnected. No difference with the top up or down. I pulled apart the module, and it is a very complicated device with a pcb and electronics. Not sure if could be tested at all... I did order a replacement module, but that's not my idea of troubleshooting. Has anyone had any kind of similar problems with the control module? Or this type of operation? As a last ditch, I ordered a Bentley FSM but wont have it for a few days.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also, all of the top position switches appear to be fully functional. I assume that the module takes input from the top position for operation.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pin 2 of the wind deflector switch connects to pin 9 of the relay/control module to signal for the wind deflector to go down but it sounds like you already figured that out. The wind deflector has no limit switches so I am guessing the control module is measuring motor current. When the deflector reaches the top or the bottom position the current goes up and the module shuts off the power. My theory is your control module is not measuring the current correctly so it does not shut off the motor when the deflector reaches the bottom position. That could explain why the old motor connection sheared.

The relay/module gets information about the convertible top being up or down on pins 1 (from the central locking control module) and 3 (connected to "top open position switch"). Normally the wind deflector will not operate unless the top is down.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I know this is an older post but can you tell me where I can find the Control Module for the Wind Deflector?
Old 03-26-2018, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to remove the panel under the steering column to find the relays. The wind deflector relay/control module is in position 12. There is no computer, just a complicated and expensive relay.