TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Witnessed a roll-over this morning ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Witnessed a roll-over this morning ...

4 door Honda is in left lane (all by himself) decent distance ahead of me, and just makes a fairly violent turn to the right, off the side of the road, and spins and rolls over. Ends up resting on it's side, leaning against a pretty massive pine tree.

By the time I, and another guy in a big rig, stop, the guy is standing up in the car with his head out the side window (which is now pointing up). A couple more people stop and we help him out of the car, and he emerges without a scratch. No airbag deployed and NO SEATBELT (lucky, but stupid, guy).

The car is pretty well totaled. The guy said he was working the late ship (this was about 5:30am) and he musta fell asleep. No alcohol smell or anything like that.

That guy is one lucky dude.
Old 06-13-2001, 04:14 AM

Default my son and i witnessed a similar roll-over a few years ago...

driver had edged over to the gravel on the right, then corrected too sharply to the left and flipped about 4 times before stopping...we got there a few seconds after she finally stopped...she was up ON the dashboard...dazed but basically unhurt...as with what you saw today, no seatbelt! incredibly lucky to be alive! and she was on her way to her wedding rehersal.
Old 06-13-2001, 05:29 AM
Elder Member

Default I have actually participated in a roll-over and it's not fun

Fortunately I had my restraint on because I think I would have been ejected had that not been true. You're right about the driver, he was VERY lucky.
Old 06-13-2001, 06:09 AM

Me too and diTTo
Old 06-13-2001, 06:51 AM

Trashed my one & only Cooper S, 1 cartwheel, 4 rolls. Thanks, 5-point harness!
Old 06-13-2001, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A relative of mine was not so lucky.

Just recently, a relative of mine ran off the side of the road for reasons unknown to me. Her car flipped 3 times, and she was thrown out. No seat belt, so now she's wearing a "halo" for the next 2 - 3 months, and has lots of other bodily damage. Luckily, she's still alive and able to walk, so it definitely could have been worse. Just a reminder: Seatbelts are a GOOD thing.
Old 06-13-2001, 08:58 AM

Default If you can belive it I have a sort of funny story about a roll over...

A good friend of mine and his son are driving out to the CA desert to do some camping and rock hounding. A big gust of wind blows their SUV off the edge of the road, he over corrects, shoots to the other side, goes down an embankment and rolls over a couple of times. Just then a CHP sees this and is down to the car. As he gets near he finds the windows covered in red and figures that all are killed. Now for the fun, the people inside wore seatbelts and were fine. The red was explained when the CHP opened the car to a strong smell of garlic, it was a pot of spaghetti sauce. BTW my friend said the most interesting thing was watching things float around the cabin like in zero gravity.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget the cows. :-)
Old 06-13-2001, 10:19 AM

Been down-side up 2x, why am I so nervous riding with anyone?
Old 06-13-2001, 10:30 AM

Ha, yes. Forgot about them. Scattered away like cattle as I burst (inverted) among them...

Quick Reply: Witnessed a roll-over this morning ...