TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Silently screaming FML--BLOWN head gasket and turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Silently screaming FML--BLOWN head gasket and turbo

The world is on the brink of WW3 and being a soldier you would probably think that a blown head gasket and shot turbo would be the least of my worries. Well the fact that things are escalating they way they are on an international level is probably why I'm taking a somewhat depressed stoic approach.

I was on my way to the gym, already with a chip on my shoulder. My wife is mad that I spend money on the Audi and tattoos, her need for me to spend every penny on maximizing the house's down payment probably stems from the fact that my mother (bless the old lady) has an OCD level need to count where all my pennies go.

Being cooped up in the military barracks while sharing the amenities with all kinds of uncouth individuals and being unable to hug my kids or kiss my wife has my nerves already on end, but I would have never expected my TT to throw in the towel.

I'm rather very grateful that it has lasted as long as it has considering what we went through. The signs where there, but I gayfully told myself it had to be fake, well I now feel like a pompous buffoon. I now find myself with a few options.

I can source a used engine i.e.. VR6,TTRS, or another CETA or I can just rebuild my current motor with new pistons rods and swap out the gaskets while the motor gets machined. Either way the bill will be high. If I rebuild the motor I will most certainly purchase the HPA K04 turbo, but I have this inkling that maybe I should just buy a used 2012/2013 TTRS motor and have it swapped in, surely it would be easier than the TTRS into VW golf setups I've seen recently.

What are your thoughts? Can a 2012 TTRS motor from a manual trans be swapped into a DSG S tronic TT?
Or would you just rebuild the motor and maybe upgrade the pistons and rods to stronger aftermarket parts?
Or would you just rebuild it with OEM/Aftermarket parts?

If you have first hand experience please do chime in.
Old 03-08-2022, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry you're being thrown punches left and right. Hands up and keep at it - I'm sure you can handle it. If not, find a professional to talk to.

I'm curious what you started noticing that may be point to this happening?

As far as engine advice, it just depends on your vision and budget. Generally theres a meme/rule that says:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick 2, dump the 3rd.
Anything cheap and fast will not be reliable; cheap and reliable wont be fast; fast and reliable wont be cheap.

When this time comes for me: I'll check my options for another used (maybe newer) TT. Or find another engine and drop it in. This is the wife's car so all it needs to do is be reliable enough for 20miles a day 5 days a week.

Old 03-11-2022, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

A used TT RS engine will run you $15K USD with an average number of miles. That engine also uses the DQ500 version of the DSG to support the power, so you'll need that. You'll also need upgraded driveshafts and propshaft and brakes, among numerous other items. That's before install costs..

Best bet is to rebuild the engine you have, and take that opportunity to upgrade components.