TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

DIY Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Question

Just received a set of 4 almost perfect 18" turbine wheels and Pirelli PZero Nero A/S runflats that I'm going to put on my s-line this winter. Instead of dragging the car to the dealer each time, I thought I'd invest in a reasonably priced hydraulic jack, torque wrench etc. Questions - anyone have suggestions on the equipment I need to do this, including a good jack, and a quality wrench that will not damage my wheels?? Also, I plan to put a block of wood under the jack points to get this done - where's the best place on the four corners of the car to jack it without damaging any of the undercarriage? Thanks!!
Old 09-18-2008, 03:41 PM

Default Well, the jacking points should be in the manual, so take a look there.

You can get some high quality stuff at griots garage (griotsgarage.com I think) Not the cheapest stuff, but high quality tools and they'll have exactly what you need. FWIW, I have an air pressure gauge from them and it's top shelf. The other items I purchase through them are all car cleaning/care materials.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 1) Any decent jack will work fine. Mine is an...

aluminum job from Sears, I think for $30. Small enough to throw in the trunk for track days, strong enough to hold up one whole side of my A4 at once (haven't jacked the TT yet)

2) Torque wrench same thing. Get a deep 17mm socket to keep the wrench away from the wheel rim. Avoid using an extension, as they can skew torque readings. A decent wrench is also not expensive.

3) The jack points are marked, but if you're not careful you'll jack against the side skirts and crack them. There are also suspension mounting points you could jack against, just be sure your jack reaches them without too much interference between the handle and the side skirts. In any case, I'd get a short piece of plumbing insulation to wrap around the jack handle.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Griot's is only good for their unique products, like the spray-on bra. Anything they sell which can

be had elsewhere is going to be overpriced at Griot's. Oh, and their car care products are pretty bad.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default jacking points (link)

<ul><li><a href="http://www.tt-talk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=800&amp;hl=jacking">http://www.tt-talk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=800&amp;hl=jacking</a</li></ul>
Old 09-18-2008, 03:55 PM

Default uhh, ok?

Their car wash and polishes work just fine for me. Also, the rubber dressing is great for the tires, doesn't make it greasy and shiny. Their towels are high quality and won't scratch the paint, and I love the Speed Shine as well. The one product I didn't like is their wax.....I polish with their product and then apply Rejex.

Not like I work for them, but whats so bad about their stuff?
Old 09-18-2008, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default good socket link

<ul><li><a href="http://www.torquestick.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=56&amp;cat=28&amp;page=1">go od socket link</a></li></ul>
Old 09-18-2008, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default those don't match this from the service manual

The owner's manual is unclear and in fact backwards I believe for front and back, at least the 2008 one is. Those pics above are from one of the first 2008's delivered that someone put up on a lift before these illustrations were circulated. I'd use these.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/tt2/msgs/13116.phtml">Illustrations in this post.</a></li></ul>
Old 09-18-2008, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The same thing that's wrong with most of the rest of their catalog: Better available elsewhere for

equal or less money.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

uhhh... yeah they do... look again.

Quick Reply: DIY Question