TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Getting ready to order 3.2 6mt

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Which shocks? I've driven the Stasis Motorsports, with the Ohlins shocks...

and holy cow, they are like butter. I mean, more comfy than stock, yet, they handle better than anything I've ever seen..
Old 08-20-2007, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Stasis tuned Konis. The car rides sooooooooo nice on the highway.

Even on rough roads, the ride is firm but never back breakingly rough. Think of it as being very compliant.

The Motorsports setup is even better...

Stasis will have my money for a TT suspension as soon as I get mine in!
Old 08-20-2007, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default I'm not sure if Active valving is a completely accurate way to describe it.

MR does not use a mechanically actuated valve like is found in say the Volvo system. MR works by altering the viscosity of the fluid passing through a fixed channel.

Active Valve - Like Water running through a hose, you vary the opening of the valve to control output.
On MR, you change the water into peanut butter, and back, or something in between. The channel remains the same.

Somewhat similar external effect, totally different working principle.

In addition, a conventional shock can't compensate for heat. You can add remote reservoirs and heat fins to dissipate heat, but no matter what, what you start out with on the track is not what you have at the end. The MR at least affords the additional ability to maintain the damping characteristic independent of fluid heat.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't we all just get along, is it so much to ask? I visit this site to learn more not to read

petty comments, it's ruining the MKII board.

Aren't there mods here to clean up this crap?

Seriously, we all understand you don't like the MKII, point taken and well noted, but isn't there anything else you can find to do other then bring constant disruption to the MKII forum?
Old 08-20-2007, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you don't have to read his post do you?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:08 AM
Head Cat Herder

Default Wow.

*speechless*

I was using the old school term 'valving' (as opposed to valve, which would refer to a mechanical valve) as a generic behavior of the system vs. describing how it works.

whether the fluid gets thicker or thinner, or an orifice gets larger or smaller, the end effect is identical.

You're right, normal shocks don't compensate well with heat. But the MR shocks are not immune to this either (they DO contain oil afterall). What happens to metal when it gets hot? Will the MR be able to compensate for any changes to the size of the metallic particles floating in the fluid?
Old 08-21-2007, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default MR monitors the temp of the fluid and increases current to compensate

Kris - First of all... sorry! For some reason I thought I was replying to ZerinB7, and I can see that my initial response was out of line. I was blinded by the current attitude in the thread. Again, sorry.

Back to civilized discussions.

While valving and MR both act to damp suspension movement, the effect is close, but I'm not convinced it's identical. With a traditional mechanical valve, as damping goes up (orifice gets smaller), the fluid becomes more turbulent. The turbulence can make the performance of the damper inconsistent. MR, no matter what the damping (viscosity), is still flowing through the same size channel. This results is a smooth laminar flow, and predictable performance.

So yes, it is still a oil, and subject to changes in viscosity because of heat, but the system does actively monitors this and ups the current to the coil to compensate. Obviously, as the fluid heats, current is increased, heats more, etc. there is a point where the system must stop. I think that's at a fluid temp of 194 deg. What it takes to reach that state is unknown to me.

The size of the metallic particles has not come up as a problem. The particle size is very consistent (3-10 microns), and there is a large concentration in the fluid. Even if particle size distribution was to become an issue, since the viscosity is a function of the amount of current applied, and current is a function of the decisions made by the control module, I'd think the system would be able to compensate.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lol.

You back down like a puppy with its tail between its legs to Kris, but if it were me it is okay to continue to act like a dick? Nice.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Perhaps if we stuck to the discussion and stopped resorting to personal attacks?

I apologized to Kris because it was the right thing to do. He hasn't been slinging around personal attacks. He got caught in the middle, It was a mistake on my part, and I'm man enough to apologize.

I'm all for a good technical debate, but every time I post information, you can only respond with insults. If you'd like to join in a true technical discussion, then by all means, let's do so. You say you know a lot about suspensions, and I have no idea if that's true or not, but one way to demonstrate your knowledge is to share what you know, and not by attacking other posters.

You up for trying that?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Head Cat Herder

Default Do me a favor, will you? Please just stay out of this, and avoid JeffreyTT and he'll avoid you.

You guys are using up a little too much of my time.

Quick Reply: Getting ready to order 3.2 6mt