TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Getting ready to order 3.2 6mt

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think you should start a crusade for other people like me who have no clue about suspensions.

Clearly I know nothing about suspension setup or the mechanics behind them. You should come up with a pamphlet that describes how the MR system is superior to every other suspension system on the planet. Your post has enlightened me and I'd really like to know more about this wonderful technology and how every suspension on the planet has now become obsolete by the standards set forth by the TT suspension.

Furthermore, you should send said pamphlet to every race team on the planet and explain to them that the MR suspension on the TT is far better than anything they use on their race cars. I think the F1 series and ALMS series could both benefit from this revelation that you have presented to us. Clearly the suspensions they use on their race cars are obsolete and no longer relevant. Perhaps you could make a living by figuring out how to retrofit F1 cars with the TT's suspension. You'll be rich in no time!

Again, please let me know when these pamphlets are available. If at all possible, please include plenty of illustrations as some of us are visual learners and would like to see photos of this wonderful end all be all technology that we are missing out on.

Gosh, who knew we had the suspension authority of the world posting on the TT forum? I feel HONORED and HUMBLED by your presence. What else can you teach me, oh guru of misinformation?

If only Audi would develop a damn button I could push to turn your posts on and off dynamically, we'd be set!
Old 08-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Anyone should like the feel of a cable throttle over DBW..

DBW is horrid and completely takes the feel out of driving.

Personally I dislike cars that 'adjust' themselves too much, it makes for spooky activity when you least expect and or want it.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The IS350 is a perfect example...too many computers doing too many things dynamically.

Takes all the fun out of driving the car.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Active suspensions were banned by the FIA in 1993

Prior to that they were basically essential to the sport.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't doubt the effectiveness of the MR. Never have, as it is a great system.

I do have a problem with someone saying that an aftermarket system will never be as good as the MR system when that is flat out wrong.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Head Cat Herder

Default Agreed. Even though I drive a Tip car, I still want to FEEL it work, and have an effect on what.....

and how it's moving. Cars with too many gadgets not only take the fun out of driving, IMHO they make the cars more dangerous because of people who trust them.

I remember the first time I rolled through a stop sign in my 96 A4 (first car with ABS) because the ABS was spending more time Anti Locking than it was Braking. Yeah, that's a GREAT safety feature. can't skid a tire, but can't STOP either.

Or when the traction control cuts the throttle mid turn and you lose the rear end

Or the stability control starts messing with the brakes mid turn and unsettles the car..

Or the DBW refuses to hold full throttle in deep snow...
Old 08-20-2007, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I've had my share of oops moments on the track when I've left ESP on by accident...
Old 08-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Head Cat Herder

Default Yeah, but we're not talking about 'active' suspension here.. we're talking about active VALVING...

The active suspensions in F1 controlled spring rates, ride height, valving, roll bar stiffness, etc, on the fly.

The system in the TT is not really all that sophisticated by those standards. Not that it's not a nice system, but all it is is constantly variable shock dampning.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I don't doubt the effectiveness of the MR. Never have, as it is a great system.

Considering I'm going be riding on 19"s, does that change anything? Will the ride be too stiff with 19s and MR?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That is really subjective. I've got Stasis Tracksport suspension on my current car...

800# springs in the front, 1000# springs in the rear. By most people's standards, it is probably too stiff, though it rides butter smooth. By my standards, it is just right. To me, the stock suspension on any car is pretty soft feeling.

Quick Reply: Getting ready to order 3.2 6mt