TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Noob turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob turbo question

As the TT is going to be my first turbo charged engine .... how does the turbo "sound" and "feel" on the TT 2.0 Quattro Coupe? Does it kick in when you're giving it some gas or does is it always kicking in when you're just putting around town ... sorry if this sounds noobish, the world of turbo charged engines about to open up to me this week
Old 01-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Noob turbo question

I'm not an expert but it would seem to me as long as there is enough exhaust gas going into the turbocharger to drive the compressor, it should be active- providing you better fuel economy at slow speeds and the boost at higher RPMs.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The 2009 TT 2.0 Quattro Coupe was also my first turbo engine. Going to a dealer for a test drive would be the best way to answer your questions, but I find the engine and exhaust (stock) to be very (almost too) quiet - the road/tire noise from the front wheel wells is actually louder (too loud IMHO - I'm going to look into some Dynamat). The engine response has just a bit of lag but then pulls surprisingly hard (for 200 hp) from surprisingly low revs. It's not a low-torque "screamer" like a Honda 2000 for example.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:52 PM

I would have to say the turbo's in our cars are so small their more teasers turbo's then say what would be more appropriate, say a K04 or T04 turbo which this engine can easily handle. Our turbo's in the Mk2 are in fact smaller then the turbo in the Mk1 but because this car is so light and the 6 speed S-tronic gear box is so cool you'll still be able to have a lot of fun with the turbo in any driving conditions. But should you ever decide you need more kick in the pants,, I think this car will be more fun to start with then the Mk1, with a simple Turbo swap, new program in the ECU and new exhaust. Then imagine more then half again more horse power under the hood. YEE-HAW!! HIGH-HO-SILVER,,, AWAY!!! Hahaha.
ENJOY IT!!
Old 01-20-2009, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo comes in at very low RPM's (long)...

... the turbo spins up soon after idle. 1800 rpm. That's really soon BTW. So the turbo's on even if you're going 15 on a residential street. If you accelerate normally you won't even feel the turbo kick in. It's that smooth.

You only kind of feel the turbo kicking in when you try to accelerate hard from idle. It needs a brief moment to spool up, but there's only slight lag due to the turbo being so small.

With Launch Control the turbo is already spinning pretty fast at 3000 RPM, so there's immediate power once you let go of the break.

After 1800 RPM (which again is barely past idle) the engine feels V6 smooth due to its wide power band and meticulous tuning. Very impressive for a 4 banger.

It's fast, but the neck-snapping 'woosh' you'd expect from an over-tuned turbo 4 is smoothed out. Of course a chip will take care of that.

As for sound, the turbo shriek is barely noticeable over the sound of the exhaust note, which itself isn't that pronounced unless you go for the roadster.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Boost really spools based on throttle opening, not engine speed

If you're cruising around at 15mph you're not making any boost unless you happen to also be at WOT.

After I installed a boost gauge I was surprised at how infrequently my car is on boost. It takes a pretty wide throttle opening to get past 5-10psi.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Really? Are you talking about the 2.0T?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thats right...

I just installed a Prosport electrical gauge, and when I'm cruising at low RPMs the gauge reads -20 to -10 and that's the vacuum. however when u step on it a bit and u watch the the needle goes past 0 the boost arrives and u can feel the difference!.. however the boost on my car goes up to 10-12 Psi (stock) I'm not intending to switch for APR-Chipped mode to check how much boost it reads, but next week after i finish some work here i'd be more around my car, I'd check the difference in boost between two modes (i was told chipped boost is around 20-21 Psi) and i will take some pictures of my Air-vent Boost Gauge position. IT LOOKS SURPRISINGLY COOL and OEM!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

1.8t with a K04 but it should be the same for any turbocharged engine
Old 01-20-2009, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I disagree. The 1.8T is far more laggy than the 2.0T. Adding a K04 increases lag even more...

.... due to the larger turbocharger.

I owned a 1.8T (stock and APR chipped) for 3 years. It exhibits waaay more turbo lag than the 2.0T in my previous A4 and current TT.

You don't want to compare the 1.8T to the 2.0T especially in terms of turbo lag. One of the 2.0T's most acclaimed improvements over the 1.8T (and there are many) is it's dramatic reduction of turbo lag.

Quick Reply: Noob turbo question