TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

2019 TT has rattle from rear passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 12:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got back from my dealer about a rattling in my car and they said it was due to the gas line hitting against the car.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I manually adjusted the hatch height points and my rattle stopped.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adjusting the hatch bumpers don't seem to have any impact on the squeaking coming from the back of my car. I thought it was the privacy cover, but turns out it was the plastic trim on the hatch near the passenger-side notch the cover attaches to. Whenever the trim flexes, there's a squeak. When the cover is attached, I guess there is more flexing that happens. I can reproduce it by simply pressing on the spot. I took a can of WD40 and sprayed it into the gap of the trim, using a towel to catch any overflow.

I haven't noticed the squeaking noise after a few trips. Now, to deal with an intermittent vibration sound coming from the passenger side that seems to come on at low speeds, and rattles from both doors when going over bumps.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Laptran
Adjusting the hatch bumpers don't seem to have any impact on the squeaking coming from the back of my car. I thought it was the privacy cover, but turns out it was the plastic trim on the hatch near the passenger-side notch the cover attaches to. Whenever the trim flexes, there's a squeak. When the cover is attached, I guess there is more flexing that happens. I can reproduce it by simply pressing on the spot. I took a can of WD40 and sprayed it into the gap of the trim, using a towel to catch any overflow.
:
Any chance you can show a pic of that area. I'd love to fix that rattle! Thanks
Old 06-16-2019, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JGreen
Any chance you can show a pic of that area. I'd love to fix that rattle! Thanks

Spray WD40 between plastic trim and trunk, where red arrows are and all along in between, to get rid of squeaking.

I gently pried the black trim apart from the trunk, just enough so the red straw of the WD40 can would fit, and liberally sprayed the oil into the space all along between the red arrows, making sure to coat the metal clips. Have a towel handy to catch the overflow. I suspect the most bang for my buck is at where the top arrow is - where the two pieces of trim meet. The squeaking/rattle hasn't come back since.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Thank You Sir. No issues for me now but simple enough preventive maintenance.

Spray WD40 between plastic trim and trunk, where red arrows are and all along in between, to get rid of squeaking.

I gently pried the black trim apart from the trunk, just enough so the red straw of the WD40 can would fit, and liberally sprayed the oil into the space all along between the red arrows, making sure to coat the metal clips. Have a towel handy to catch the overflow. I suspect the most bang for my buck is at where the top arrow is - where the two pieces of trim meet. The squeaking/rattle hasn't come back since.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Perfect, thank you. I've been using felt tape on connecting surfaces that make the slightest noise.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

While wd40 still work short-term, it is not a lubricant -- it's a water displacer. I recommend getting an actual lubricant to spray in there if you don't want to have to reapply the fix more frequently.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nebuul
While wd40 still work short-term, it is not a lubricant -- it's a water displacer. I recommend getting an actual lubricant to spray in there if you don't want to have to reapply the fix more frequently.
Will do. Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-27-2019, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Update, I removed both panels that cover the "trunk/hatch" area, and the rattle is gone.
The following users liked this post:
kornkid182 (06-27-2019)

Quick Reply: 2019 TT has rattle from rear passenger side