TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Any TT-RS owners here have first hand experience with the Porsche 718?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Any TT-RS owners here have first hand experience with the Porsche 718?

I’m looking around for my next car (dd, no track) and can’t shake my TT. In your experience is the 718 a far superior dynamic driver than the TT-RS? Test drives have been fun but 15 minutes isn’t a true test for me. Currently I dd a base TT with 400 crank hp. It’s so versatile, fits perfectly, just a bit soft. Please share your real world experience. I’m considering the 718, Evora and a TT-RS, pre owned.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

According to Car & Driver Lightning Lap track testing, the Mk 3 TTRS has virtually identical track times as a 718 Cayman S. What keeps me from considering a 718 is that its engine is virtually sealed so it is difficult for a DIY guy to work on and Porsche's notoriously expensive routine maintenance.
The following users liked this post:
ourlee (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ourlee
I’m looking around for my next car (dd, no track) and can’t shake my TT. In your experience is the 718 a far superior dynamic driver than the TT-RS? Test drives have been fun but 15 minutes isn’t a true test for me. Currently I dd a base TT with 400 crank hp. It’s so versatile, fits perfectly, just a bit soft. Please share your real world experience. I’m considering the 718, Evora and a TT-RS, pre owned.
The Porsche will drive better and feel sportier... but if it's a daily driver the Audi is a better choice. Someone else pointed out that they had similar lap times in a test... but the Porsche will give you different vibes for sure.
ourlee (12-17-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

absolutely zero question when it comes to which one is the better drivers car; 718 hands down. While I am a big fan of the TT and especially the MK3 version (we are on our 4th!), when it comes to driving dynamics the Porsche wins. But you are comparing a mid engine purpose built mid engine sports car platform to a modular front wheel drive do it all from SUVs to sport cars platform. The MQB is one of the better small car platforms out there, and Audi has done a good job on the MK3 in making it dynamically the best it can be; but they can only do so much with the engine sitting so far forward!

But since you are asking about real world experience, and you live in the NE where winter is real - the TTRS might be the better fit as a daily driver with no intentions of going on the track.

TTRS pros:
- AWD/year round drive-ability
- Quieter/arguably more live-able cabin
- far cheaper maintenance
- faster (comparing to 718 base)

718 Pros:
- Better driving dynamics
- Better ownership experience
- better transmission (PDK beats DSG)
- Better ride

Both great cars, and I have driven a few caymans (never a boxster) and I would still pick the TTRS every time based on real world driving.

ourlee (12-20-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ourlee
I own a TT RS.
I've taken a GT4 for several laps on the track.

Both have their pluses and minus. GT4 with manual transmission ... sorry, it sucks ... way too much time lost shifting gears vs. double clutch on the TTRS, instant shifts. Handling on the TTRS which has understeer ... fixed with a Neuspeed rear sway bar ...
Tires ABSOLUTELY need to be changed on the TTRS ... p zeros won't cut it on the track ... I have PS4S ... much better handling ... like awesome. Stock brakes on the TT RS ... front pads need to be changed ... I have girodisc street and strip ... much better ... but composite is the way to go ... just don't want to spend that kind of $$.

Anyhow, what I'm getting at is ... the TT RS with a few upgrades (tires, rear sway bar, front brake rotors/pads) is for me a slightly better choice than the GT4. Tuning on the TTRS to say Stage 2, pump 94 or E30 ... makes it the superior car. You just won't get those kind of numbers with a tuned GT4 (which is normally aspirated). So, the TTRS has way more potential.

Now ... the all new GT4 RS ... possibly a different story, because I understand it comes with automatic PDK transmission ... which fixes my biggest gripe with the GT4, gear shifting lag due to stick. However, you are now talking about $200k for a well kitted out GT4 RS vs. $95k for a TTRS ... and add $15k to get it track ready ... $110k all in ... and you also have a beast of a TT RS (600 hp, amazing handling).
ourlee (12-27-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by MCRN
absolutely zero question when it comes to which one is the better drivers car; 718 hands down. While I am a big fan of the TT and especially the MK3 version (we are on our 4th!), when it comes to driving dynamics the Porsche wins. But you are comparing a mid engine purpose built mid engine sports car platform to a modular front wheel drive do it all from SUVs to sport cars platform. The MQB is one of the better small car platforms out there, and Audi has done a good job on the MK3 in making it dynamically the best it can be; but they can only do so much with the engine sitting so far forward!

But since you are asking about real world experience, and you live in the NE where winter is real - the TTRS might be the better fit as a daily driver with no intentions of going on the track.

TTRS pros:
- AWD/year round drive-ability
- Quieter/arguably more live-able cabin
- far cheaper maintenance
- faster (comparing to 718 base)

718 Pros:
- Better driving dynamics
- Better ownership experience
- better transmission (PDK beats DSG)
- Better ride

Both great cars, and I have driven a few caymans (never a boxster) and I would still pick the TTRS every time based on real world driving.
How is the PDK better than the DSG? They are both dual clutch with the only difference being wet vs dry clutch.
Old 12-21-2021, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mark_b_good
I own a TT RS.
I've taken a GT4 for several laps on the track.

Both have their pluses and minus. GT4 with manual transmission ... sorry, it sucks ... way too much time lost shifting gears vs. double clutch on the TTRS, instant shifts. Handling on the TTRS which has understeer ... fixed with a Neuspeed rear sway bar ...
Tires ABSOLUTELY need to be changed on the TTRS ... p zeros won't cut it on the track ... I have PS4S ... much better handling ... like awesome. Stock brakes on the TT RS ... front pads need to be changed ... I have girodisc street and strip ... much better ... but composite is the way to go ... just don't want to spend that kind of $$.

Anyhow, what I'm getting at is ... the TT RS with a few upgrades (tires, rear sway bar, front brake rotors/pads) is for me a slightly better choice than the GT4. Tuning on the TTRS to say Stage 2, pump 94 or E30 ... makes it the superior car. You just won't get those kind of numbers with a tuned GT4 (which is normally aspirated). So, the TTRS has way more potential.

Now ... the all new GT4 RS ... possibly a different story, because I understand it comes with automatic PDK transmission ... which fixes my biggest gripe with the GT4, gear shifting lag due to stick. However, you are now talking about $200k for a well kitted out GT4 RS vs. $95k for a TTRS ... and add $15k to get it track ready ... $110k all in ... and you also have a beast of a TT RS (600 hp, amazing handling).
Is this a JOKE? LOL You think the TT-RS is better than GT4 on track? You crap on the GT4 for losing time while shifting... when the whole reason it came with a manual was for driving enjoyment. And you can buy a GT4 with a PDK anyways. Come on man... be reasonable with what you're saying.
Old 12-21-2021, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not all dual clutches operate the same. Some shift better than others... some read situations better than others... and some operation better than others in regular city driving conditions.
Old 12-22-2021, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Lookout57
How is the PDK better than the DSG? They are both dual clutch with the only difference being wet vs dry clutch.
Its funny how even the same transmission, take the current ZF 8 speed for example, can have large behavioral and operational difference between makes based on simple tuning and software control. With the ZF 8 speed, I have always found BMW does a better job via the TCU than Audi.

With regards to the porsche unit: For one, the PDK is more instant, it doesn't have as much pedal lag as the DSG. Its shifts are smoother in normal mode, more authoritative in sports or sport +. A lot of people say the PDK adapts better to the driving style, I tend to agree. I do believe I read somewhere that the DSG does in fact shift quicker than the PDK (though I cant recall the exact figures - but something like 18 times). But what does this mean in real world driving?? Nothing to me as I prefer the operation of the PDK.

Last edited by MCRN; 12-22-2021 at 08:16 AM.
crester (12-22-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by crester
Is this a JOKE? LOL You think the TT-RS is better than GT4 on track? You crap on the GT4 for losing time while shifting... when the whole reason it came with a manual was for driving enjoyment. And you can buy a GT4 with a PDK anyways. Come on man... be reasonable with what you're saying.
Dude, friggin chill out, and go french kiss the exhaust of a GT4 ... like jeeze ...
That's my opinion ... stick shift is dinosaur technology. I'm not a fan of stick shift. Paddle shift with PDK is a way better performance choice.

And yes, after mods on the TTRS, I would DESTROY a GT4 on the track ... like not even a challenge.

Quick Reply: Any TT-RS owners here have first hand experience with the Porsche 718?