TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Descision MK2 TT RS or MK3 TTS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shadeofnardogray
I'd say "it really depends what you're doing with it" - for high power applications, the last i5 is an amazing base setup. On the street, manuals are fun, nostalgic, and pleasantly involving for the driver. Track situations though, you tend to want the car in the right gear without your hands leaving the wheel or something else deciding what is "right." To that end, DSGs (DCTs in general) are godsends. I have an '08 R32 and '19 TTRS standing out front - both of those setups are much faster than you or i will ever be at changing gears. The old stuff runs wet clutch providing very smooth engagement (GTR does too, but with my setup its like rough intercourse with a transformer until the trans and clutch fluids warm up), the new 7-spd units are just insanely precise dry setups and the entire tuning strategy is driveline based (vs motor based like normal cars) to ensure smooth upshifts (downshifts are always torque-cut at the motor, upshifts keep partial torque down so that you keep the boost aside from efficiency).
If you're going for road courses, the TTS is probably a better choice - those motors can be brought to modern TTRS levels of output for short money and if thats not enough for you on a road course at that weight, you're into purpose built cars or ultra-expensive kit anyway. If you're shooting for digs or roll racing, and competing in the manual class (no DCTs), i'd say the older TTRS will offer a lot more resistance to blowing up all over the place and you can get the transmission innards nowadays to handle 1k pretty easily. Unlike Cobras or Nismos, there's little "baller factor" from a TTRS since nobody knows what the deuce it is - does come in handy though when someone thinks they can outrun a "hair dressers faux coupe" :-p
Thanks for the input. Very helpful. If I do go to track the car, it will be road course track days. If it does go to a drag strip, it’ll be test-n-tune track nights. Either way, I don’t expect to track the TT as I have other cars for that..

As it turns out…. I made a decision and it’s a bit out of the realm I listed here. I went to a 2021 TT RS! So I went for the 2.5L 5 banger everyone raves about.

I’ll post a separate thread for that. I’ll be playing, for certain, so I’ll be posting what I learn as I go if it’s not something I gather from here.

Thanks again!