TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Switching Grilles

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Agreed, but the counterpoint is that we all need some diversion and a sense of something in the chaos that we can control. Puttering around in the garage or shop helps.

I just rotated my tires and cleaned out my intake and radiator fins. And I'm about 9 months ahead on some woodworked Christmas gifts.

Originally Posted by VGM911
I am in no way being critical of the OP or anyone else who has already changed out their front grill, but because of the current pandemic and the havoc it's wreaking on our economy and social lives, changing my grill is the furthest thing from my mind. I mean, millions of people are losing their jobs and thousands are dying. That's more important than spending hard earned money on a front grill to my way of thinking. Again, no criticism of the OP or anyone who enjoys modifiying of their cars is intended.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
Agreed, but the counterpoint is that we all need some diversion and a sense of something in the chaos that we can control. Puttering around in the garage or shop helps.
Very true, sir, but for someone who avidly (perhaps even obsessively) follows the news and is even reading about the end of the world (me, guilty as charged on both counts)...the related predictions of global fire, earthquakes, and disease are making some people very uneasy, and thus reducing what they spend beyond the bare necessities as they tighten their belts in the face of our faltering economy.

Last edited by VGM911; 03-29-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by VGM911
Very true, sir, but for someone who avidly (perhaps even obsessively) follows the news and is even reading about the end of the world (me, guilty as charged on both counts)...the related predictions of global fire, earthquakes, and disease are making some people very uneasy, and thus reducing what they spend beyond the bare necessities as they tighten their belts in the face of our faltering economy.
Dude, please. I live where earthquakes happen daily. It’s life and life goes on. Uh oh..... I just felt another tremor. Take cover! Just ordered another TT accessory.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Fly
Dude, please. I live where earthquakes happen daily. It’s life and life goes on. Uh oh..... I just felt another tremor. Take cover! Just ordered another TT accessory.
Consider that the end of the world (if it were to come) could be the result of simultaneous earthquakes of great size (in numbers and magnitudes of which we've never seen before); conflagrations of vast size, number, and intensity; widespread destructive floods; volcanic eruptions; and disease (think 1918 Spanish flu, the bubonic plague, the current coronavirus outbreak, etc on a vast pandemic scale). The 1906 San Francisco earthquake would, in comparison, seem like a mere tremor. Just sayin'
Old 03-30-2020, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Consider that humanity survived the 1918 Spanish Flu with vastly less medical knowledge and technology. Granted we're now more a global community and therefore we're spreading this one much more quickly and widely. Perhaps a bucket list 911 (997 best value) is a good idea right about now?

I do find that especially considering delivery prioritizations I'm not ordering anywhere near my norm (even then always living within my means). Of course that geometric slowdown too is adversely affecting the economy. "Difficult to see; always in motion the future is." -Yoda

Chilly day for any automotive work, mod's or otherwise (the fleet's already clean and waxed) but thankfully another woodworking project underway in my cozy basement shop.

Stay safe all.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 2016 Sepang Blue TTS

I had a body shop do it. and had them paint intake vents and plastic trim parts gloss black.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Also have a 2016 TTS. That is one sharp clean looking grill. Very nice pics.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scratchyratface
If you have front parking sensors then be warned! The one piece grills don't have the holes for the parking sensors in the right place. I learnt from experience, back to the standard grill for me.
I'm interested in this mod but I don't want to sacrifice the sensor operation. Could you extend the wiring harness and reuse the sensors?

- Patrick
Old 04-22-2020, 04:46 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PMNewton
I'm interested in this mod but I don't want to sacrifice the sensor operation. Could you extend the wiring harness and reuse the sensors?

- Patrick
No mod needed just buy the sensors I listed above.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PDC-Par...C/352497505450

I've been running them for 2 years now with no issues. Plus the original grille is grey and the new grille is black. Having two grey sensors in an all black grille looks unfinished.

Edit: Just to add it's not the wiring harness that's too short, it's that the holes in the grille are slightly lower than the original grille. They are also pointed slightly down which triggers the false warnings.

Last edited by StretchinSD; 04-22-2020 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool. Thanks for the reply! I bought a 2020, which appears to have a black grille already. It sounds like the only reason I would need to buy new sensors is to avoid the false warnings? Are the sensors you listed less sensitive?

- Patrick

Originally Posted by StretchinSD
No mod needed just buy the sensors I listed above.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PDC-Par...C/352497505450

I've been running them for 2 years now with no issues. Plus the original grille is grey and the new grille is black. Having two grey sensors in an all black grille looks unfinished.

Edit: Just to add it's not the wiring harness that's too short, it's that the holes in the grille are slightly lower than the original grille. They are also pointed slightly down which triggers the false warnings.

Quick Reply: Switching Grilles