Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BATTERY DRAIN ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BATTERY DRAIN ISSUE

Hey Guys, Ive got a 2003 A4 I just purchased and am having an issue with battery draining down quickly. I narrowed it down with a multimeter and pulling fuses one at a time. The number 24 fuse, which is a 20 amp, is pulling over three amps when its in place. When removed, the multimeter reading returns to near zero. This fuse seems to run the power windows as well as the interior lights. I was told its possible a bad CCM under the driver seat. Does this seem correct? If so can it be replaced without any re-programming issues.

Could it be something else?
Old 02-01-2020, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld 3X a Charmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, it could be one of many things...

GFF - or guided fault finding. - Along with a vag-com cable and a computer will help, but if you already know you’ve got a parasitic drain on the 24 fuse then you have to find the wire that has the broken insulation or the wire that is broken or crimped or if it’s a twisted pair find the noise.

I remember my first Audi, reading forums and posting general questions and praying for a what if answer just to lead me in a direction that would help. The only direction you can go that will help is to invest in a vag-com cable and/or a Bentley Manual and follow the GFF. Ross-Tech has a great support website, although Uwe and Jack can be pretentious little ****s sometimes. They do encourage you to do your homework before coming to class. That’s the whole point and what you’ve gotta do now rather than sitting around waiting on an answer to fall from the sky when everything in the car is a chain. Find the right chain, pull the links and sky will let loose its answers. Most of the time that means hours and hours of work and back breaking tests of wires trapped behind paneling you would rather die than remove. My only other suggestion is to take it to the dealer or a good Audi shop and pay a high price. My brother-in-law sold me his old 1997 A6 C100 2.8L NA and when he did he said, now, you can take it to Hans Auto or you can learn to fix it yourself. One way you go broke having someone else fix it, one you learn a lifetime skill that’ll work on any car you own from here moving forward and most likely you won’t go broke! Hahaha.
Now, I’m on my 3rd Audi and I just completed the timing chain, balance shafts chain, guides and tensioners replacement and she’s running beautifully...after I went back in 3 times to fix my mistakes. Luckily, unlike my last Audi, my mistakes weren’t so bad as to bend my valves. But, learning how to do a valve job and head refurbishment on my last A4 was an experience ill never regret. When I had to do the 2nd valve job on the same car because I didn’t torque down the camshaft position sensor screw, the screw fell into my lower timing cover, got caught between the crankshaft/timing belt sprocket and literally ripped the back half of the crankshaft sprocket off, shredded my timing belt and left me with 3 bent exhaust valves 4 weeks AFTER I’d completed the first valve job, I regret. Learning is always best the hard way...unfortunately 😬

Last edited by audiyadosir; 02-01-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Just pull up the drivers carpet where your feet would be and the module is inside the box. If it’s wet you have a leak. Or it’s just defective