Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

19" to 20" wheels & tires??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 19" to 20" wheels & tires??

Hi everyone! I'm totally new to forums, so excuse my formality lol....

I'm considering going to 20" wheels & tires from the stock 19". Has anyone done this before? I was looking at some lightweight Vossen rims (not forged), or going with a 5-spoke clean forged wheel from Forgestar. Will the quality of my ride decrease substantially? I don't take this car on the track, it's my everyday car (but I do drive it like it's supposed to be driven lol). Any suggestions/warnings would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :-)
Old 02-15-2012, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

PS.....this is for my '07 RS4!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Former Vendor

20s will be harsher, there's no getting around it, it will also highly depend on your tire selection. What did you have in mind?

The Vossen are low pressure cast wheels (very heavy) and the Forgestar are flow formed cast wheels (light, but not super strong).

If you are looking for a 20" 1 piece forged wheel that isn't a wallet breaker, look into the MORR VS8.2:
http://www.campionishop.com/products...?cid=47&clev=1

This is available in the low 4,000 range for a set of 20x9s and are very light at 22.8 lbs.

If you are after a different look, give us a call and we will tailor a set to your needs.

Originally Posted by RS Bella
Hi everyone! I'm totally new to forums, so excuse my formality lol....

I'm considering going to 20" wheels & tires from the stock 19". Has anyone done this before? I was looking at some lightweight Vossen rims (not forged), or going with a 5-spoke clean forged wheel from Forgestar. Will the quality of my ride decrease substantially? I don't take this car on the track, it's my everyday car (but I do drive it like it's supposed to be driven lol). Any suggestions/warnings would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :-)
Old 02-15-2012, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your post, Matt (I believe)? As for tires, I hadn't decided anything yet. What do you suggest? Wouldn't a 20" tire be lighter cuz it's less mass weight?

As for the Vossen wheels, I understand that they are heavier than a forged wheel, but are they as heavy or heavier than the stock wheels that come with the car?

Also, should I be concerned with rubbing if I went with 20"?
Old 02-15-2012, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for your post, Matt (I believe)? As for tires, I hadn't decided anything yet. What do you suggest? Wouldn't a 20" tire be lighter cuz it's less mass weight?

As for the Vossen wheels, I understand that they are heavier than a forged wheel, but are they as heavy or heavier than the stock wheels that come with the car?

The larger the wheel the more weight it has. But if you go with forged wheels then that process allows for stronger wheels that can be made lighter (money talks )
Old 02-15-2012, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your post, Reggie!

I do know what you've said already. I was just asking about Vossen because although I know they aren't as light as a forged wheel, are they actually heavier or same weight as the factory 19" wheels? I like some of their styles....

I'm also wondering if you have any insight into my concerns about rubbing at a 20"?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Former Vendor

Yes, 20" tires are usually a bit lighter due to a smaller sidewall, however the 20" wheels are much heavier than the 19s.

We can a 19x9 in MORR VS8.2 at 19 lbs, the 20x9 is 3 lbs heavier per corner. The 19s are also cheaper in the 3,000 range.

The Vossens are heavy, they will be in the higher range of 20 lbs (easily over 25lbs) since they are a concave design, which sacrifices weight for better looks.

You won't rub with 20s, with the proper tires your overall diameter of the 20" wheel and tire package will be the same as the 19".

I hope this helps!

Old 02-16-2012, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CampioniShop
Yes, 20" tires are usually a bit lighter due to a smaller sidewall, however the 20" wheels are much heavier than the 19s.

We can a 19x9 in MORR VS8.2 at 19 lbs, the 20x9 is 3 lbs heavier per corner. The 19s are also cheaper in the 3,000 range.

The Vossens are heavy, they will be in the higher range of 20 lbs (easily over 25lbs) since they are a concave design, which sacrifices weight for better looks.

You won't rub with 20s, with the proper tires your overall diameter of the 20" wheel and tire package will be the same as the 19".

I hope this helps!
Those are some nice looking wheels
Old 02-17-2012, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Anyone have pictures of a 2000 a6 2.8 sitting on 20 inch rs4 wheels if so pictures please