Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Do I need wheel locks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need wheel locks?

I live in central California in a low crime area, have a 2018 SQ5 on order. How do folks feel about the need for wheel locks? I don't hear about wheel theft anymore (from all types of vehicles, not just Audis) It seems that wheel theft used to be a bigger problem when I was a new driver back in the late 70's.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would be safe than sorry. I just recently had my A7 messed with. Someone pulled my stem core, letting out all my air and recapped the stem. Had to get someone to go to AutoZone to get me a new core. Less than a $10 fix, but they were hoping I drove on a flat tire.

I have wheel locks and ball seat locking nuts
Old 07-04-2017, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1. Having the extra protection of wheel locks is a no-brainer IMO. You don't know where and when thieves will strike and those Audi rims can be sold for good $$ in the used car parts market. When these guys steal your wheels, they may cause more damage to your car depending on how they leave it. They may do the following:
1. Jack-up the car using the wrong type of jack,
2. Damage the underside of your car by using rocks to prop up corners of your car where they've already taken off the wheels. I have seen photos that show a car resting on the ground with the brake rotors supporting the weight of the car instead of the wheels.

For some peace-of-mind, I have wheel locks installed in my car even if there is a low incidence of wheel theft in my area. However, I would like to be pro-active in my efforts to prevent theft and having wheel locks is one of them. Some people may argue that pros have ways to go around wheel locks. Yes, that is true but the wheel locks and other theft deterrents still narrow-down the chances of theft by a considerable amount.

Last edited by plat27265; 07-04-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My belief is that locks are prudent. Why? There are two primary sources of mischief: kids who are just showing off to their peers and those looking for a quick buck (typically drugs). As previous posters have stated, better safe than sorry. Locks, although they may not prevent removal, will discourage the bad guys because of the extra effort required.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:00 PM
Former Vendor

All solid arguments to be sure; better to have one more (inexpensive) layer of protection against the "casual" thief. A Pro will just flatbed the whole vehicle.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks guys i'm gonna get the locks
Old 07-13-2017, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ofcoures, why you save a little bit money for those expensive wheels..
Old 03-02-2018, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

I just purchased a complete pre-owned set on eBay for $35, half of what I could buy a new one for on there. Unless abused, should be fine since it has those black cap covers anyways. It seems like a reasonable cost for a deterrent. I will put the key in a ziploc bag and put in the glovebox. The place for it in the spare tire area is a pain to get to for tire rotation.

I had a 1994 Acura Integra GS-R and someone put my car on jacks and took the original wheels. Nothing like waking up and finding your car on the street wheel and tireless. At least they didn't leave it on the ground. That car was a victim of theft a few times which soured the owner experience. Honda and Acuras were regular theft victims.