Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Gary, question about max/high perf. tires and your tire decision guide

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gary, question about max/high perf. tires and your tire decision guide

Gary, when I use your website's tire decision guide and list my priorities as 1, comfort/noise, 2, handling, 3 treadlife, the result is that the best matches are all UHP season tires: "you are willing to trade a little handling for all season versatility."

Is that a glitch in your system or am I missing something? I'm not looking for all season versatility, but I am willing to trade a little handling for low noise and comfort.

What would you recommend?

275/35/18 rears and 245/40/18 fronts

Order of preferences:

1. low noise
2. wet handling
3. comfort
4. dry handling
5. price
6. treadlife
Old 07-18-2005, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Maybe you answered "Yes" to the snow question?

I tried it (with your criteria), and it recommended Grand Touring Summer tires ("You want performance from your tires yet comfort is important too...")

As far as specific tire recommendations, I'm sure Gary will step in to suggest something, or see my response to a similar question posted yesterday.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Nope

I answered no. I went back and answered yes to see what would happen, and it then asked if I intended to buy dedicated winter tires. It may be that in the wider profiles it's only possible to get comfort from an all season tire. But I'd settle for the most comfortable max performance or uhp summer tire.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Former Vendor

Default Re: Gary, question about max/high perf. tires and your tire decision guide

Although I'm not intimately familiar with the exact workings of the online tire decision guide, I'm pretty sure that this happended :

All season tires typically have smoother and quieter rides in most cases than their summer tire counterparts, which is likely why the web suggested tires in that catagory.

Two tires I like for summer-only tires that are known for smoother and quieter ride worth considering are the Dunlop 9000 and Conti Contact 2.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR8&amp;url=/tires/index.jsp">Tires</a></li></ul>
Old 07-18-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Thanks

The Contis do look pretty good based on your tests. I'm a little wary of them because I hate the Conti Ones on my car now. They're comfortable enough, but noisy on SoCal freeways and a little skittish. What I'd like is more of everything, low noise, comfort and control. I suspect that almost anything would be an improvement.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Ok, let's change the priorities a little bit

1. low noise
2. wet safety
3. low noise
4. wet safety
5. dry handling
6. comfort
Old 07-19-2005, 04:42 AM
Former Vendor

Default Re: Ok, let's change the priorities a little bit

Being that you listed 'low noise' twice, this must be extremely important I'd still go back to suggesting the Avon M550A/S for an all season, or Dunlop 9000/ Conti Contact 2 for summer tires.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR8&amp;url=/tires/index.jsp">Tires</a></li></ul>
Old 07-19-2005, 08:09 AM

Default Ah, but I also listed safety in the wet twice ;-) - what about the Mich and Pirelli AS tires?

I've had different, smaller, Dunlops on a different car in the past, and they were quiet when new but got really noisy after just a few thousand miles.

BTW, I don't come up with the Avon AS when I search for tires in my sizes. But aren't the Michelin Pilot AS and the Pirelli Nero M+S quiet and good in the rain?
Old 07-20-2005, 05:46 AM
Former Vendor

Default Re: Ah, but I also listed safety in the wet twice ;-) - what about the Mich and Pirelli AS tires?

Both the Nero M+S and Michelin Sport A/S are comparable at a higher pricepoint. My summer tire choices would remain the same.