Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Gary - question regarding load range/load index

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gary - question regarding load range/load index

Gary,

I am a bit confused with load range and load index. From what I understand, a load range XL means that the sidewall have been a bit reinforced and that the max load is reached at a higher psi. With that being said, if two tires have the same load index and one is marked XL and the other one is not, does that make a difference?

For instance, if some OE tires were XL and had a load index of let's say 99. Could I replace them with tires that have a load index of 99 but are standard load?

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Tarmac101
Gary,

I am a bit confused with load range and load index. From what I understand, a load range XL means that the sidewall have been a bit reinforced and that the max load is reached at a higher psi. With that being said, if two tires have the same load index and one is marked XL and the other one is not, does that make a difference?

For instance, if some OE tires were XL and had a load index of let's say 99. Could I replace them with tires that have a load index of 99 but are standard load?

Thanks.
Theoretically there should be little difference as long as the tires are the same brand and model of tire, but please post the exact situation so we can advice on your specific case rather than speak in broad general terms.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Gary,

Thanks This was just a general question in regards to my understanding of the load index versus the load range.