Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Gislaveds vs Hakka 10, also sizing questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-1998, 11:55 AM
Doug

Default Gislaveds vs Hakka 10, also sizing questions.

I own a 1998 Passat GLX. Stock tire size is 195 15" 65. I have a set of 185 15" 65 Gislaveds from my last car, Saab 900. They are like new. <p>According to my calculations, the diameter will be about 1/2" smaller with the Gislaveds, and the speedomter will be about 2mph off. I can live with this, but is there any other reason not to use these tires? Will I harm the car/transmission? Will the main CPU for the car/tranny be mixed up?<p>Also, the Gislaveds are a noisy. Will Nokian tires be considerably quieter? I do not want/need studs, but I want awsome winter traction if I am going to bother with snow tires. Any opinions?<p>I am in Southeastern Michigan. The last few winters have been easy, but you never no when it will dump on us. I need to drive to Chicago, Toronto or Grand Rapids at least twice a month and quite often hit Lake Effect snow. Many times the roads are dry/plowed so noisy tires are a drag.<p>Thank you!
Old 11-18-1998, 07:37 PM
Rich

Default Re: Gislaveds vs Hakka 10, also sizing questions.

Doug--<p>Don't see why the size should be much of an issue for the tires.<br>I'd go more on your liking of the tires and their ability to perform as you like to drive.<br>My Nokian Hak 1's are a bit noisy as well, but I'd say that if you like to drive 85+ on these<br>trips and the Gislaveds can't handle that then that's more of an issue .<p>We're due to be dumped on eventually in SE Michigan after last year's lame winter. I'm up in the Traverse City area now, but used to live down there and drive the same places you do. I'd probably go with something a little better on dry roads if I had a choice, like the Dunlop winter sport m2 or pirelli asimmetrico. Then again, the G's might suit your needs if they can take high speeds on dry pavement.<p>I just arrived in Seattle after a cross-country trip in the A4 on the Nokians, and they did just fine. I didn't feel too comfortable going 95 and over on anything but straightaways, but they did just fine at (mostly) higher speeds, and again on the twisty, occasionally icey mountain roads at much lower speeds. The radio easily took care of the tire whine.<p>Rich<br>'98 2.8Q sport<br>on location in the NW..
Old 11-19-1998, 05:00 AM
Doug

Default THANK YOU RICH

NO MESSGE<br>