Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

tire wear question...rotate, new tires or new wheels and tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2001, 06:33 AM
ajp
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire wear question...rotate, new tires or new wheels and tires?

My stock all season crappi woops conti's have 35K on them. Back at around 5 K or so I hit a pothole that destroyed one of the tires. I was going out of town and NTB didn't have another conti in stock-I was desperate so they threw a dunlop d60 on the rear. I've been driving this way since. I haven't rotated the tires b/c I didn't want two different tread patterns up front affecting the steering etc. As it is now it is not noticable at all. My problem is my fronts are showing a lot of wear-I'm almost down to the wear bars.Should I:
- Switch the front to the rears to the front for now or is it unsafe?
- Just buy 4 better all season tires?(What's the best all season for performance btw?G-force KDWS?)
- Suck it up and get a summer wheel and tire combo(my car is certainly undertired w/ the current suspension setup-neuspeed race/bilsteins)?
A few qualifiers-i'd really like summer tires and wheels but I just bougt a Kayak and I'm a little low on cash. Is it worth overextending myself a little since I'd likely get longer wear overall using summers and all seasons switched? Or should I just stomp on the mod bug and just stick with the all seasons in 225/50 for now? Thoughts? Thanks!
alex
99.51.8tqm
Old 04-09-2001, 07:59 AM

Default My vote: new tires on all 4 corners

At 35K, you're going to have a sizeable difference in rotating diameter front to rear, if you replace just a pair. Try to keep the same diameter at all times -- so I'd get all new tires (unless you suddenly get a windfall of money and you can get new wheels/tires).

And rotate them more often!
Old 04-09-2001, 08:17 AM

Default Quattro needs same diameter tires all round

If your fronts are worn to the wear bars and the rear are nearly new (from a tread standpoint) you have probably exceeded the difference in diameter/circumference that is good for the center diff. If you are strapped for cash and live a climate where winter tires are a consideration get 4 decent brand stock size all season tires now. You can always buy a bigger wheel/tire set for summer use later and relegate the all-season to winter use then.
Old 04-10-2001, 11:08 AM

Default Should definitely be matching all 4 the same....

Call me to discuss further or when you are ready!

Eddie