Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

What is the correct way to re-torque wheels? (m)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Just retighten to specified torque value. No need to loosen & re-torque. The reason for...

checking after first 100 miles or so is that a bolted joint will tend to loose some of its initial tensioning due to the flexibility in the assembled joint and overcoming the friction during tightening. For a well used bolted joint, the tension loss is much less than a brand new joint.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:03 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I use it liberally - and I apply it to the seating surface too

I started this after having the rusted rotors sticking to the wheels. It has stopped rust on my rotors and wheel bearing caps. Not familar with the arguments against it on other surfaces.

I do use it on the treads and sparkplugs. I have not had a wheel lug come loose. I do change my wheels every six months (summer/winter wheels). I do understand the theory used to go with a higer torque with anti-sieze - I don't believe in it.

I was trained in proper techniques by the US Goverment - working on Nuclear weapons. We had lots of detailed process for managing the assembly and disassembly of these weapons and use and resue of bolts, antsieze and lock tight. Of course these techniques do not represent the conditions that cars see.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re-Torque?

Hey all,

I just got new tires today. They were mounted and rebalanced and did the alignment too (all done at my local Audi dealer). I noticed on the invoice they suggest a re-torque after 100 miles...is this necessary if it was done at the Audi dealer whom I trust and have never had any faulty work etc. ???? The main reason I raise this concern is because I'm driving over 400 miles tomorrow and cannot cancel this trip. Do I have to worry about my tire falling off or possible breaking/damaging bolts and/or rotors...I brought this up to Audi and they said it's not really necessary and that I can just do it once I reach my destination they also mentioned that a lot of customers don't do it...any thoughts?
Old 06-30-2017, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If they were properly torqued at installation time, its HIGHLY unlikely that something will come loose. I've been re-torquing wheels for 30 years and I've only ever found 1 bolt that felt like it actually needed it.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:38 AM
Former Vendor

I'd say that if the dealer did the install and they tell you that you can check it once you reach your destination, you're good to go
Old 11-03-2021, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DeniP
Hey all,

I just got new tires today. They were mounted and rebalanced and did the alignment too (all done at my local Audi dealer). I noticed on the invoice they suggest a re-torque after 100 miles...is this necessary if it was done at the Audi dealer whom I trust and have never had any faulty work etc. ???? The main reason I raise this concern is because I'm driving over 400 miles tomorrow and cannot cancel this trip. Do I have to worry about my tire falling off or possible breaking/damaging bolts and/or rotors...I brought this up to Audi and they said it's not really necessary and that I can just do it once I reach my destination they also mentioned that a lot of customers don't do it...any thoughts?
ANY reputable tire dealer/car dealer on your route after the 100 miles SHOULD do it for free (if they have the time). I change summer/winter a few years ago in Kitchener, ON and retorqued next day in Niagara Fall, NY, no charge.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by S3Fan
ANY reputable tire dealer/car dealer on your route after the 100 miles SHOULD do it for free (if they have the time). I change summer/winter a few years ago in Kitchener, ON and retorqued next day in Niagara Fall, NY, no charge.
YES. Everything stated here is TRUE.