Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Winter wheel - want picture of Passat steel rim

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-1999, 12:29 AM
mpd333

Default Winter wheel - want picture of Passat steel rim

Hi All!

I have read the discussion of winter wheels/tire for a long time. The cheapest solution offered by many is to buy Passat steel rims ($25-$35 each) and have winter tires put on them. Okay, but what do the rims look like? Does anyone have a picture (by themselves or on a car) or know of a link to one?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-17-1999, 05:35 AM
Steve S.

Default Did you look at Neil Weinstock's Tire and Wheel Machine...see link in link section?

I think it is called the A4/Passat Tire and Wheel Machine.

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
Old 08-17-1999, 09:55 AM
mpd333

Default Just looked - don't think so

Cool site, though I do not think it has the plain steel rims. It has the option to look at only the VW/Audi wheels (pulls up the Audi 5 spoke, 7 spoke, and an assortment of VW wheels), though I do not think any of them are the plain steel rims people talk about with their winter wheels. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!
Old 08-17-1999, 10:36 AM
MarioR

Default Where can you find Passat steel rims for $25?

I'm looking for a spare rim, and would like a basic 15" steel rim and an all season tire. A Passat takeoff rim/tire would be perfect. Where can you find a Passat rim for $25?
Old 08-17-1999, 10:50 AM
CraigB

If you care how they look, I wouldn't buy steel rims.
Old 08-17-1999, 10:53 AM
mpd333

Default Re: Where can you find Passat steel rims for $25?

I do not know - I only quote what I read in my searches of the archives on winter wheels. Several epople said they went tot eh VW dealer and bought them and/or a salvage yard. I have not tried, thus don't know if true or not.
Old 08-17-1999, 10:54 AM
mpd333

Default Re: If you care how they look, I wouldn't buy steel rims.

I kind of agreewith you, though that is why I wanted to see a picture. I am assuming the $25 steel rims are similiar to those on my old Honda. Plain vanilla rims. Though a picture would be nice...
Old 08-17-1999, 11:08 AM
CraigB

Default I think they are black steel and use wheel covers on the Passat (more)...

I don't recall seeing a Passat with Honda type rims (BTW - I used to have a CRX). Another option would be to find Audi 8-spokes that someone is trying to get rid of; or call Gary @ Ronal, as he probably has some that people have traded in. He can also mount up Pirelli or some other winter tires for you. See the link for a pic of my winter wheels (16" R-28s).

CraigB<ul><li><a href="http://www.users.uswest.net/~craiger/a4r281.jpg">Craig's Winter R-28s</a></li></ul>
Old 08-17-1999, 12:24 PM
Neil Weinstock

Default Should I put them in?

I originally didn't put them into the wheel machine because I couldn't think of any reason anyone would be buying them for an A4. Hadn't thought of the winter wheel scenario.

I assume we are talking about the steel wheels *with* the dishpan wheel covers?

I'll try to dig up a picture and add them in.
Old 08-17-1999, 01:03 PM
Reggie

They look nicer than the sport wheels

Quick Reply: Winter wheel - want picture of Passat steel rim