A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Help with information on Audi A4 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with information on Audi A4 3.0

Whats going on everyone, I am currently looking at purchasing a 2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro with 69k miles on it for $7900. I am reluctant though, as I have heard the reliability on some Audi's aren't exactly the best, so I figured the best place to go regarding information on that exact topic would be to you guys. My credit union is offering a 6 year/100,000 mile warranty for any car I buy, but still I don't want to end up stranded.

Here's the carfax for the car CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2003 AUDI A4 3.0 QUATTRO AWD

It seems pretty clear too me, but what do you guys think? Are there any red flags that may not be apparent unless you know about Audi's? Second what are some things I should look for regarding the car to figure out the reliability and upkeep of the particular vehicle I am looking at (mechanical, body, warning signs, etc)?

Picture of car below:

Old 09-23-2014, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I own one with 280000 km. I commute 800 to 1000 km a month. It's still the same ride nothing changed.The v6 on this machine is quiet and strong. Like all the Audi's line up.
Audi is not cheap car to fix at the dealer or mechanic, but you can do most of the work and that's the fun part owning an Audi.
Good luck with the purchase
Old 09-24-2014, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main issue I found was the automatic gearbox called a "Miltitronic"
It fails often and the clutch lets go too. New gearbox required
So if it has one get it up to 80 and then go up a hill pressing the accellerator slowly . If its going to slip you will feel it . Mine is at 150,000kms and slipping
Bloody great car otherwise !

Last edited by tytower; 09-24-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tytower
The main issue I found was the automatic gearbox called a "Miltitronic"
It fails often and the clutch lets go too. New gearbox required
So if it has one get it up to 80 and then go up a hill pressing the accellerator slowly . If its going to slip you will feel it . Mine is at 150,000kms and slipping
Bloody great car otherwise !
Mine also is 150k an 02. I got that slip and the dealer diagnosed it as the torque converter. This was like 2 years ago and now I just steal it whenever pressing the gas pedal. Other than that, just normal wear and tear items.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by amkmeco90
Mine also is 150k an 02. I got that slip and the dealer diagnosed it as the torque converter. This was like 2 years ago and now I just steal it whenever pressing the gas pedal. Other than that, just normal wear and tear items.
If it truly is a Multitronic gearbox it does not have a torque converter . Instead it has a forward clutch and a reverse clutch. These are operated by oil pressure controlled by the TCM ( Transmission Control Module) attached to the back of the gearbox .

Perhaps its something different with yours Yeh?
What do you mean by steal it ? I either floor it for a second to kick it down or use the tiptronic to move to manual and change back a couple of gears.Either way don't let it slip

Last edited by tytower; 10-06-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

If it truly is a Multitronic gearbox it does not have a torque converter . Instead it has a forward clutch and a reverse clutch. These are operated by oil pressure controlled by the TCM ( Transmission Control Module) attached to the back of the gearbox .

Perhaps its something different with yours Yeh?
What do you mean by steal it ? I either floor it for a second to kick it down or use the tiptronic to move to manual and change back a couple of gears.Either way don't let it slip
I mean that to avoid the slip (sudden rise in the rpm), I press the gas smoothly not pushing it hard. If I push it hard, it will slip and after doing that multiple times I usually get the CEL on. And for the torque converter, that's what the dealer told me. Though I don't trust stealership but that's what they wrote on my report.I wish I can find that report to write the code that they got.
And by the way, I don't have much knowledge about cars. I'm just describing what I got, so forgive me if I got something wrong
Old 10-13-2014, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by amkmeco90
I mean that to avoid the slip (sudden rise in the rpm), I press the gas smoothly not pushing it hard. If I push it hard, it will slip and after doing that multiple times I usually get the CEL on. And for the torque converter, that's what the dealer told me. Though I don't trust stealership but that's what they wrote on my report.I wish I can find that report to write the code that they got.
And by the way, I don't have much knowledge about cars. I'm just describing what I got, so forgive me if I got something wrong
No worries . The clutch thing works like this . Push down slowly it strains the clutch cause the gearing (say 1 motor to 1 gearbox turn) is turning the wheels as fast as it can as you are putting more power on it and it is already slipping . Kick the pedal down a bit and the revs will jump into sporty mode and jump up a bit . This puts a lot less strain on the clutch because the gearbox is easier to turn as the ratio has changed (say 1.5 motor to 1). Go to tiptronic mode and change it back to 4 th or 3rd and you will see what I mean

Your gearbox, you will notice ,revs up the motor when you take off and holds those revs as the speed comes up until the car reaches the speed you want and the gearbox changes closer to 1:1 gradually so the revs come down . No changes are perceptible . In Tiptronic/Sports mode you feel each change as you make it and it will still change itself before you can damage anything even if you don't change it.

Have a look at this thread - post 22 for pics They might explain a bit
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...2853167/page3/

Last edited by tytower; 10-13-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

No worries . The clutch thing works like this . Push down slowly it strains the clutch cause the gearing (say 1 motor to 1 gearbox turn) is turning the wheels as fast as it can as you are putting more power on it and it is already slipping . Kick the pedal down a bit and the revs will jump into sporty mode and jump up a bit . This puts a lot less strain on the clutch because the gearbox is easier to turn as the ratio has changed (say 1.5 motor to 1). Go to tiptronic mode and change it back to 4 th or 3rd and you will see what I mean

Your gearbox, you will notice ,revs up the motor when you take off and holds those revs as the speed comes up until the car reaches the speed you want and the gearbox changes closer to 1:1 gradually so the revs come down . No changes are perceptible . In Tiptronic/Sports mode you feel each change as you make it and it will still change itself before you can damage anything even if you don't change it.

Have a look at this thread - post 22 for pics They might explain a bit
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...2853167/page3/
Thanks for that info.