A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Correct way to change oil on A4

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
That's why I bought a dipstick, so I can have a more accurate measurement of the oil level than I can get with the MMI.

Despite what the owner's manual says, after refilling my crankcase with 5 quarts of oil, both the MMI and the dipstick showed that I needed another 1/4 of a quart.

I'd like to point out that when I get my oil changed at my dealership, the oil comes up higher on the dipstick than I allow it to get when I change the oil myself.
Which dipstick works for the 2.0 engine? I have a 2013, but I suspect it would be the same, and I like your idea of having one to verify the MMI. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cpolyak
Which dipstick works for the 2.0 engine? I have a 2013, but I suspect it would be the same, and I like your idea of having one to verify the MMI. Thank you!
We have it available below.

Click HERE to order or for more information

Jason
Old 08-14-2013, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Yup, that's where I got mine from.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Filters and Oil Drain Plugs, A6, C7, Year 2016

Fellow Audi junkies, I have often wondered about the right way to change the oil on my A6, C7 2016 Audi, whether to drain it out thru the drain plug etc. I can tell you I have been using a Shurflo marine engine oil extractor, it drains the oil thru the dipstick and it has worked fine with not one problem. The only thing you need to do is use a metal hose clamp in place of the cheap little plastic piece of junk that comes with the oil changing system, if you don't use a metal hose clamp you will find your used motor oil all over your garage floor, a situation whose cleanup you don't want to cleanup.
In any case, can anybody provide the following information for me out there. I just bought a 2016 Audi, A6, C7 with a 2.0 Litre engine and I could sure use the following torque values.
The torque value for the oil drain bolt and the torque value for the oil filter cover. Also, I notice that I see some oil filters that just are encased in a metal housing that screws onto a threaded nipple, can that be used in place of the paper oil filter that is encased in the plastic cover that came standard with the 2.0 Litre engine? Any answers will be appreciated as I am pretty much at a loss as to why on earth Audi would use a paper oil filter element in place of the good old metal encased oil filter found on Audi A6 cars up to year 2015. Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1guitar
Fellow Audi junkies, I have often wondered about the right way to change the oil on my A6, C7 2016 Audi, whether to drain it out thru the drain plug etc. I can tell you I have been using a Shurflo marine engine oil extractor, it drains the oil thru the dipstick and it has worked fine with not one problem. The only thing you need to do is use a metal hose clamp in place of the cheap little plastic piece of junk that comes with the oil changing system, if you don't use a metal hose clamp you will find your used motor oil all over your garage floor, a situation whose cleanup you don't want to cleanup.
In any case, can anybody provide the following information for me out there. I just bought a 2016 Audi, A6, C7 with a 2.0 Litre engine and I could sure use the following torque values.
The torque value for the oil drain bolt and the torque value for the oil filter cover. Also, I notice that I see some oil filters that just are encased in a metal housing that screws onto a threaded nipple, can that be used in place of the paper oil filter that is encased in the plastic cover that came standard with the 2.0 Litre engine? Any answers will be appreciated as I am pretty much at a loss as to why on earth Audi would use a paper oil filter element in place of the good old metal encased oil filter found on Audi A6 cars up to year 2015. Thanks again.
The 2.0L engine was changed in the 2009 MY and now uses a spin on filter mounted on the top of the engine. You can either get a OEM filter or a Mann filter for your MY. As far as an oil change you can use an oil extractor going through the tube which used to be the dip stick tube. No need to get under the car and pull down the plastic belly shield or to undo the drain plug.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
I use a Pella extractor. Works very well. Some people are afraid that an extractor leaves too much old oil in the pan, but I don't think it leaves any more than draining the oil by the plug.

In fact, last week I changed my oil and filter, and refilled the crankcase with five quarts of Castrol Professional 5W-40. After running the engine for awhile and giving the oil a half an hour to drain back into the pan, I noticed on the dipstick and the MMI that I needed to add about 1/4 of a quart more oil. That made me realize what a good job the extractor does in sucking out the old oil.

In addtion, you don't get dirty using an extractor.
hey a4driver,

we got the same vehicle but mines got 103k miles, what oil do you recommend to use and do you change it every 1k miles?

Thanks is advance